1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Only some Core2 processors make MOBO report a RAM error.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zephyl, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

I have an old Intel DP43BF motherboard. On Intel's website, the minimum bios for all processors listed in this is the same (70). The motherboard was purchased with a Core2 Duo E2220, which booted and worked fine. I wanted to upgrade, so I purchased a Core2 Quad q9400. The motherboard reported a RAM error after installing. I assumed the processor was broken so I returned it and purchased one of the same kind, which again, did not work. I decided to go to a different website (I had been on Amazon and had unknowingly bought the CPU from the same company twice). This time I got a Core2 Quad q8400.... The motherboard reported the same error. Is the motherboard shot? There are no bent pins from what I can tell. The original E2220 still works fine in the board. Do I need a BIOS update after all? Am I just having extremely bad luck with processors?
    P.S: The RAM is 8GB of PNY DDR3.

2. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  3. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

4. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
  5. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

6. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    I'm at a loss.
    The CPUs are supported. You indicate supported RAM and the BIOS is up-to-date.

7. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

Same here. Even tried older BIOS revisions, none worked. Motherboard doesn't have any indications of damage... is this a kind of thing that would result from a defective CPU? Is it possible I bought three in a row?

8. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    Do you get POST Beep Codes or an On Screen error message ?

9. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

POST beep codes. Repeats three one-second beeps indefinitely until powered off. No video is displayed.

10. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

UPDATE: Reset CMOS, now it turns on without me doing anything and turns off again without displaying anything or beeping, then repeats.

11. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You actually have an Intel Pentium Dual Core E2220 2.40 GHz processor.

As was stated in post #6, that motherboard supports the Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz and Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66 GHz processors.

You might consider upgrading to the Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33 GHz processor(which is also supported).
    It's a noticeable improvement in speed and performance, and I personally have had very good success with it in older Intel motherboards.

cpu1.JPG cpu2.JPG

----------------------------------------------------------------

12. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

You're absolutely right, the E2220 is quite slow, which is why I am upgrading to the Q8400; the only issue is that it's not working. I reset the CMOS... the motherboard no longer reports a RAM error but the system keeps turning on and off again at ~5 second intervals. Have you got any idea on how I could fix this?

13. dlipman

dlipman

First Name:
    David
    What is the source(s) of the CPUs you obtained for the upgrade ?

14. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used an Intel Core 2 Quad processor because of the additional power it uses and additional heat it generates.
    There also isn't much, if any, of an improvement in speed and performance between the Duo and the Quad in single thread operations.

I just wanted to give you my "2 cents worth".
    I'll leave you with David.
    (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  15. Zephyl

Zephyl Thread Starter

The Q9400's were from a used Amazon listing, one from "TekRefurbs," the other from "TekCycle," but it turns out they're the same company. The Q8400 that I'm using right now is from "RedDoorTech," and was listed on EBay. Came with a certificate stating it was "Tested for Key Functions, R2/Ready for Resale" The Q9400's came with similar certificates.

EDIT: RedDoorTech Q8400 was actually on Ebay (fix)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!