1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oops! disabled video card

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by eloc_68, Apr 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eloc_68

eloc_68 Thread Starter

I recently had to completly erase and reinstall windows on my PC. Everything worked well, but i noticed my graphics were not as smooth as they had been prior to the reinstallation. I had installed an Asus video card some years before, and thought that after the reinstall the drivers for it needed to be reinstalled. However, going into Device Manager, there was no mention of any Video Cards, or a Display Adaptors Tab, even after showing the hidden items.

After blundering around for a while, trying to figure out a way to reinstall my Asus video card, i disabled the video card (must be the default card for my system, not sure on this) and was prompted to restart my computer. After restarting, following the Windows XP logo, I just get a black screen, with no cursor or anything. I have tried starting in safe mode, but after 5 minutes (estimate) it was still on the .dll file screen and had not changed.

Is there any way to try to get my screen back? I'm at a friends house trying to find something I can do besides reinstalling, and all I can think of is to blindly try a system restore, by booting up normally, pressing the windows key, typing in "system restore" and hitting enter until (hopefully) my computer is restored to a previous state.

Any ideas? Sorry for the wall of text, but i really don't want to have to re-install my OS again, as I have some sensitive data, and 40gb worth of iTunes that would be a pain to put back in.

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    If you reinstalled XP and didn't see a Display Adapters heading in the Device Manager, that means the driver didn't get installed.

There would be an Other Devices heading and probably a "Video Controller(VGA Compatible)" listing in that heading.

Did you disable the video card in the Device Manager or in the BIOS after you reinstalled XP and didn't like the looks of the graphics?

As soon as you turn on the computer, keep pressing the F8 key repeatedly without interruption until the options menu screen appears. You can then select "safe mode" or "safe mode with networking" from there.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. eloc_68

eloc_68 Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply! I disabled it in the Device Manager, not sure under which heading. It may have been the Other Devices, that you had mentioned. I've tried the safe modes, and they either do not load fully or load to a black screen. Thanks for any help!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    See if you can access the BIOS after you start the computer, then see if the video setting got disabled by disabling it in the Device Manager. If it did, re-enable it and then save the change in the BIOS and then restart the computer.

If that doesn't work, remove the video card and then reinstall it and then start the computer. Hopefully, XP will think you installed a new video card and will load a generic VGA driver.

If neither of the above works, then I guess you have no choice but to reinstall XP.

------------------------------------------------------------------

5. eloc_68

eloc_68 Thread Starter

Will do, thanks for the assist!

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. Keep me posted as to how it goes.

----------------------------------------------------------------

7. eloc_68

eloc_68 Thread Starter

Well, had to reinstall XP, then spent a day to get my internet back up and running, but my computers back (more or less) the way it was! Now, to find out how to get my computer to detect this graphics card...

Still no Display Adapters in Device Manager, but there is the "Other Devices> Video Controller (VGA Compatible)" that you mentioned

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Hopefully, you haven't gotten impatient and done something that's going to mess things up again.

Double-click the Video Controller (VGA Compatible) entry to open its properties window, then click the "Details" tab, then highlight "Hardware Id".

There will be a string that has VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of the string.

Advise what the numbers and letters are that follow VEN_ and DEV_.

Be careful not to make any typos when submitting those codes here.

The codes will identify the graphics device - which will allow us to locate and obtain the driver for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/990594

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice