1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

oops. i think i did something bad.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by RS4, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RS4

RS4 Thread Starter

this is my first post here, and its not a good one either :mad:

alright i decided yesterday that i would try and upgrade the OS on my dinosaur dell laptop (latitude CPi). none of the windows disks i tried worked, i tried ME and 98se. it gave me different error messages, every time i tried they wouldnt work. these were full versions, not upgrades by the way. i had windows 95.

well this is where things got a little more complicated. i went onto dos, fed up with things, and did a 'format c:', losing everything, thinkin i could boot up from one of the windows cds and start fresh. i tried booting from the cds, it didnt work.

oh another wierd thing, my hd is partitioned into 5 2gig partitions. now that i have screwed my computer, can i combine all these into one? i only formated the c: partition, i still have d: e: f: g: to format. is there a way to redo them all?

one more thing, my cd drive is drive h:... and that seems to be confusing everything

the next thing i tried was a search here. i found a few other threads with users with similar problems. i followed the steps, i got a few boot disks, and copied the files to the hard drive, and it still wont boot. i am now at a point where really nothing is happening, it starts, shows the windows 95 splash screen, then proceeds to give me errors regarding not finding the cd rom drive..

can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction? my end goal is to get an ME or 98se *which i have cds for* on the computer, and get all my hardware to work, and get one 10g partition...

2. Hairy

Hairy

patience is a virtue here....

can you get into the setup program to see if your computer "sees" the entire size of your hard drive?

find where to set it to boot from floppy as first boot device

with the 98SE bootdisk inserted, reboot, choose "start with cdrom support"
    get an error that no cdroms are found?

the cdrom letter now may be "I" or "R"....looking closely at the screen while booting from the floppy, will tell you what letter it is

3. RS4

RS4 Thread Starter

fdisk sees my entire hd size...

will this prog work to make it one 10g partition?

i will try the boot disk again once i am done reformatting the remainder of my hd.

4. $teve

$teve

use fdisk to delete your existing partitions.

and welcome to T.S.G. by the way rs4;)

5. RS4

RS4 Thread Starter

partitions deleted :D

and windows is installing

so far so good

thanks guys

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112842

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice