1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oops! Stupid move, XP boot problems.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by apostello, Nov 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apostello

apostello Thread Starter

I have a media center desktop. It was given to me with a fan error. So I fixed the fan. Unfortunately, since I put it off so long I was using it for parts. Now that I have decided to get it up and running again I face an unexpected horror. I had previously unplugged the hard drive and ended up plugging it into the wrong IDE connector. So when I powered the system up I got the black Dos screen staring me in the face with a stupid blinking white command prompt. Corrupted boot files. Grrr. I don't have a boot disk for this installation of windows so I tried to create one from another install on my working pc. It got me into system recovery. That must be computer specific as well. I used it to search the drives for a windows installation to no avail. I can still access the hard drive on my other computer. Is there a way to create a boot disk for the broken computer's installation from my working computer, or is there a better solution? In addition to all this. It doesn't recognize any of the cdrom/dvd drives either. So any software has to be run from the floppy drive, unless there is a way to install the drivers from Dos or the bios, which I can't seem to access either.

2. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Why not start out by contacting HP and ordering the proper install software or recovery disks for this model of computer? Then while waiting install the hard drive into another computer and backup any important data to another media like CD-R's, DVD or whatever you choose.

Then when the new disks arrive you can do a proper recovery of the system.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice