1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Oops this link appears to be broken

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by MaryBac, Feb 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

I keep getting Oops this link appears to be broken and yet if someone on a different computer puts in the domain name the web-site comes up for them.
    I have cleared the cookies, cache, etc. and that doesn't work either. What can I do as they are my domains and it isn't just one that this is happening on and there is nothing wrong with my web-sites.
    Mary
    I am using Vista.
    These are some of the links that I am having trouble with.
    www.marybachert.com
    www.candlesandcosmetics.com

2. speed_hog

speed_hog

Hi Mary, can you install another browser and get the same problem?
    what browser are you using?

firefox;
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/ie.html

opera;
    http://www.opera.com/

does this mean at the same location that the problem PC is at?

3. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply.
    I was using Internet Explorer, and on my laptop it says Oops Link appears to be broken. Then when I go to my other PC in a different room and go to one of my web-sites it says on that computer, that Internet Explorer cannot display the page. So I just downloaded Mozilla Firefox and when I tried going to my link http://www.candlesandcosmetics.com this is what it says there.

Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.candlesandcosmetics.com
    The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
    * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.
    If someone logs onto that web-site from a different house then they can log on with no problems.
    Mary

4. speed_hog

speed_hog

OK Mary,
    So am I hearing this correctly you cannot go to any websites or just a few select sites?
    You may have internet connection issues with something other than your PC's...
    try turning both PC's off then unplug (turn off) your modem and router (anything) that you are using for internet,
    for a couple of minutes then plug the modem (the first device that hooks to the wall or phone line) and let it power up fully then router and then PC's and try it again OK.
    also can you tell me if you are using a 3rd party firewall? another words did you install one after you got the PC's or are you using windows firewall?
    OR what security suite might you be using so if this doesn't work I can walk you through how to try and fix the problem OK :)
    IF you do have a firewall that you put on the PC's and the power cycling fails, try turning off the firewall completely and see if you can connect if so you know that it is the firewall blocking access :)

**Obviously if it is not your firewall call your ISP and tell them you cant get online OK :)

Sorry if I over explained some things but some people do not know what the devices are, I certainly mean know disrespect OK :)

5. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

I was on with my local internet provider today and we did the router and modem thing with them, and turned everything off but that didn't work. They tried everything they could, but they finally said the problem was nothing from their end. I can get on the internet, it just seems like my own web-sites and some others that I cannot get on.
    I believe the only firewall I use is Windows, but I do have AVG as well. However, they were on my computer before and I had not problems with loading my web-sites. Why is it I am able to get on some of my web-sites like www.niftysoyscents.com with no problem but when I have a redirected domain name like www.candlesandcosmetics.com then it comes up link is broken. These all worked till about the third week of January and then it seems like everything started to go wrong. I called godaddy.com as they have my domains and that is where they are redirected from, but they checked it out from their end, and it seems that there is no problem with them and their redirection either.

When I go to www.marybachert.com it says in a box "oops this link appears to be broken" with the google tool bar off to the left and above the box it says Page not found - connection failure.
    Then it says you View cached copy of page from Google. However, if you go to that it says:
    This is Google's cache of http://www.marybachert.scent-team.com/. It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on 24 Jan 2010 22:54:54 GMT. The current page could have changed in the meantime. I have no idea what could have changed on that date.

My internet provider said that they would never put anything out there that says Oops that link appears to be broken.
    Any help you give me would be much appreciated.
    Mary

6. speed_hog

speed_hog

OK I built my own website I can tell you there was a steep learning curve and I am still learning and will be for a long time to come...

I have no idea who is doing your site but I can tell you that nothing matches correctly with the web address and what it actually displays in the URL address window and that may be a bit of a problem...

I don't have a lot of time right now but who ever is working on your site is not doing it quit right and this could take some time to figure out...

the names of the sites that you posted into this thread do NOT take me to a site with the same name...
    That is the first problem I see, so that is basically an incorrect or broken link, do you see what I am saying?

so if you can log into this thread from a pc somewhere else and click on the web sites you put in this thread and look at them and notice they are not going to a matching site with the same name...

I will be back latter OK Mary

And any WEBMASTERS that want to jump in please do :)

7. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

8. speed_hog

speed_hog

No not Google, as I can go to them without problems and if your daughter can too, then it may very well be some weird issue with your PC's at home since they are the only ones that can not get to the sites and I am at a loss as to why :(

* thanks for the good explanation on the redirects too :)

I have a feeling it may be some connection issue from your end to godaddy.com they are extremely busy and popular and I have a few clients that complain about being able to login to there email sometimes, and if your connection is even remotely slow (at your house) then you may be having connecting issues with godaddy.com :(

does this always happen just at your house?
    what is your internet speed?
    try 2 or 3 of these tests and report the results back here;
    http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=speed+test&aq=f&aqi=g10&oq=&fp=c26c79a56c95bda8

9. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

We are on high speed here and are going to our daughters next week in Ohio so I will try and see if it works there. I will report back then.
    When I talked with godaddy.com yesterday, they checked it out and said that everything went through from their end with no problems.
    Thanks again for all your help.

10. MaryBac

MaryBac Thread Starter

Hi again, I downloaded Mozilla Firefox and when I tried my websites again, this was what it said this time. Does this help you in any way? At least it doesn't Oops this link is broken! Mary Bachert Unable to connect Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.candlesandcosmetics.com # The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. # If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. # If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web. Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.candlesandcosmetics.com. * The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments. * If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection. * If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

11. speed_hog

speed_hog

Did Mozilla Firefox really know your whole name and put that in the error message ???
    seems a bit strange to me...

this is off the subject but do you have any kind of Malware or Spyware scanner installed and have you updated it and used it in the last month???

(certain malware/spyware can and will mess with your internet for sure)

If not DO NOT go out and just install any thing you can find at Google, there are a lot of fake rogue ones floating around and do a lot more harm than good.

->> start reading some of this stuff just to educate yourself OK...
    http://forums.techguy.org/54-malware-removal-hijackthis-logs/

I have used a lot of the recommended tools and they work well but removing the wrong thing can hurt your PC, so if you want to proceed these are the rules;

Cookiegal [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Administrator with 64,697 posts.

IMPORTANT! Security forum changes in effect
    As stipulated in the forum rules, only members who have a gold or blue shield are permitted to post to security related matters. However, unauthorized members often disregard those rules and post when they are not qualified to do so. As a result, we have decided to change the Malware Removal & HijackThis forum permissions to prevent this.

Therefore, effective immediately, the following change has been implemented.

Anyone seeking assistance will be able to start a new thread and, being the thread starter, they will continue to be able to post replies back to their own thread as they follow through the clean up process with their helper. However, only authorized members will have access to reply to those threads. Anyone trying to reply who is not authorized will receive a "denied access" message.

This change was necessary to protect the posters who come here seeking help.

If you have general questions relating to anti-virus/anti-spyware programs, firewalls, etc. you may post them in the General Security forum where anyone can reply.

We thank you for understanding. :)

Edited to reflect changes August 1, 2007.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!