1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Op system reassigned c: drv to different letter - will not boot windows

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by g_lovett2000, May 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g_lovett2000

g_lovett2000 Thread Starter

Summary of Problem:

The operating system has seemingly reassigned my c: drive to another letter and now the system will not boot because it doesn’t find c: drive. How can I get drive assigned back to be c: and restore ability to boot into windows.

Other key points:

I have confirmed in bios that the drive that was originally c: is configured correctly and set as primary boot priority. Other drives in bios are also fine.
    I have confirmed that all hardware connections are solid.
    I have found, through the dos window available on the recovery disk, that the drive which was originally labelled as c: is now accessible through dos as the f: drive. You can view the windows directories, files, etc.
    The DVD drive which was originally labelled as the f: drive is now the g: drive and is functioning.
    Other 2 drives (D: and E) are fine and viewable through dos.
    Typing Dir C: in the dos prompt gets a response that the contents are system reserved and “file not found” with no information on disk size.
    I believe this issue was triggered when I plugged in a USB external hard drive and then turned on the computer to boot. This was the first time the problem occurred. Prior to this all was functioning as expected.
    Tried to use restore, but it cannot restore because the c: drive is not accessible.
    I found the following article in the MS knowledge base, but it requires access to windows to execute. I don’t know how to get into windows with the machine in its current state. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/223188
    This is a new install of Windows 7, but I could not find the product number since I cannot get to windows. I would have preferred not to pay for this support, but it is worthwhile if we can find an answer.

A summary of the PC:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    CPU: Core I7 2.66
    Hard Drives: 3x 1.5TB Western Digital WD15EARS
    Graphics Card: ATI XFX 5850
    Sound Card: Creative - Titanium
    Memory: 12G (6 x OCZ 2 G memory – 3G1600)
    DVD/CD Optical Drive
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional
    Antivirus: Kaspersky 2010
    Other Software: Pinnacle Studio 10, Net Nanny, iTunes, Audacity, Microsoft Office 2007

2. unbidden

unbidden

I had a dual boot of Vista and 7 on the same hard drive. I used Acronis Disk Imager and cloned the 7 install to a second unused hard drive. This resulted in being unable to boot to Win 7. I used one of the command lines linked below to repair/rewrite the mbr and all is fine; I'm able to boot to both 7 and vista again using separate hard drives. Try running the Fixboot command but before doing so be sure you have your data backed up. If you have access to another computer that you can slave your drive too, disk imaging is very simple. There are websites that you can download an older version of Acronis ; Acronis in the past has allowed for this and this is not a cracked software option. You'll find the older versions will not run on Win 7 but you can install on Vista or XP and successfully clone a Win 7 install. All that being said, you don't have to clone anything to run the Win 7 disk and perform the fixboot command, I only offered that solution as a way to back everything up if you don't already have a backup option.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/921413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice