1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OPASVR.exe Windows Message Service

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dmcneela, Feb 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmcneela

dmcneela Thread Starter

Hi I wonder if you could help,

I keep on getting messages supposedly from the "Windows Message Service" telling me that it (or the OPASVR.exe) has found a virus and that i should go to a certain site to get the cure!! The site mentioned is always one of these expensive-phone-call-sites.

It would not be so bad, but i have Norton Anti-Virus and Personal Firewall (oh and Ad-Aware, as i thought that i could be an Ad file thing!).

So the question is, how are they getting in and how can i get rid of them.

Thanks a mill,

Dmcneela

2. Mollie

Mollie

Windows "Messenger" (which is completely different than MSN Messenger) is a service used mainly by folks on a network to send out system-wide messages, i.e., an administrator might use it to send out a message to everyone that reads "the network will be unavailable from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. due to computer maintenance" or something of that sort. Unfortunately, people have figured out a way to use Messenger on the internet and send out exactly the same type of messages you're receiving. If you're not on a network or another program is used for this sort of thing, Windows Messenger service isn't necessary.

To disable Messenger, presuming your OS is Windows XP, click on start, then "run," then type in "services.msc" (without the quotes). That will bring up a dialog box showing all of XP's services installed on your computer. Find the service entitled "Messenger." Highlight it, right click on it, then click on "properties," which will bring up the dialog box for Messenger properties. To stop the service temporarily (until you reboot at least): on the "general" tab, click the "stop" button. To disable the service permanently: (again on the general tab), in the section "startup type," click on the arrow key and choose "disabled." Then click apply, okay, and exit out of the dialog box. Reboot for good measure. :cool:

Good luck.

Mollie
    _ _ _
    "You know very well that I no longer think. I am far too intelligent for that." Albert Camus

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117488

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice