1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Open DNS and Fastcache

Discussion in 'Networking' started by llsee, Jul 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. llsee

llsee Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    I am curious if anyone on TSG has tried Open DNS http://www.opendns.com/

If you have, would you post your experience with it? Also, how about Analogix's Fastcache program.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

What are you trying to accomplish?

3. llsee

llsee Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    There has been a lot of discussion lately at various tech web sites about the new Open DNS initiative. Chris Pirillo has been singing the praises of it on his Lockergnome web site. It supposedly improves internet page loading speed and provides security against phishing. At there same time there have been some critical postings of it, notably on the TechCrunch site.

I was just wondering if anyone on TSG has tried it, and if so, what was their experience? Although I consider myself smart enough to not get caught in phishing traps, the idea of cutting a second or so off the time it takes to navigate to a new page is appealing.

4. JohnWill

I have no opinion. I don't know that DNS spoofing has become a major issue yet, so I'm not sure this isn't a solution in search of a problem.

I've been known to use public DNS servers instead of the ISP supplied ones.

5. llsee

llsee Thread Starter

First Name:
    Larry
    Guess I'll give it a try myself. I have a small town ISP, and they seem to have frequent problems resolving domain names, and with their DNS server. So using a different DNS provider, could have some advantages. Or, maybe not.

6. JohnWill

Well, there are lots of public DNS servers, you can do a Google search on them and give a few a try. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/485431

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice