1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Open Excel 2000 file ?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by JerriS, Jan 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JerriS

JerriS Thread Starter

On an HP Brio pc running Win98SE with 64mb ram using Office 2000, user opens a spreadsheet in Excel that contains 3 worksheets and macros and Excel opens multiple sessions. Any idea on what could be causing this? We have tried opening the same file on another pc and same thing happens.

Thanks

2. jbcalg

jbcalg

do you mean multiple sessions of the <u>same</u> file, or one session of the file and additional sessions of the default workbook/sheet?

sounds like either something in the suspect file - you said it had macros in it, what are they supposed to do? - or something in the start up.

more info would help

and from the dreamboat:
    <i>Excel closed.

Start-->Run and type:

Excel.exe /regserver

And/or run repair from Excel's help menu if 2000 or greater.</i>

-was in reference to a different prob, but it could help here too.

3. Whinyguy

Whinyguy

One other possible thing to check - because Microsoft Excel will attempt to open every file in the additional startup folder, make sure you specify an empty folder or a folder that contains only files that Excel can open.

Steps:
    On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the General tab.
    In the Alternate startup file location box, see what is specified.

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    To clarify for jbcalg, and also Alan (who I'm sure is aware of this):

When files open unexpected on OPEN OF EXCEL, that usually indicates one of two things:

1. There are files in the folder called XLSTART, usually on your hard drive. Close Excel, find the folder and move any files out of it, they don't belong there if you don't know WHY they're there. Also, macro VIRUS files tend to write themselves there, so if you ever suspect one....

2. The user has indicated a location, as Alan stated, and on OPEN OF EXCEL, the files in that folder will open.

However, if you open Excel with NO problem, the macros in the workbook could be causing these events. To open a workbook WITHOUT running macros, hold the SHIFT key while double-clicking the file to open. I believe this still works in all versions. If not, Tools-Macros-Security and set it to High to keep macros from running automatically.

jbcalg, this problem wouldn't indicate registry settings to me. They are more for toolbars that can't be restored, illegal ops or other errors AFTER hard drive cleanup has been done and startup folders have been checked, won't keep it's settings, can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Just to let ya know...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64189

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice