1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Open JPEG files

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by MyOwnSelf, Feb 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MyOwnSelf

MyOwnSelf Thread Starter

For several weeks now, I have had trouble opening .jpg files. I had no trouble inserting them into documents, or viewing them in documents, but I had to open HP Photo and Imaging in order to open the files directly. Ever since upgrading to Office '07 I haven't even been able to insert them into documents. I am able to use .tif and .bmp files, and sometimes .gif. No matter how I try to rename or save as, I can't change the file type. The best I can do is [filename].gif.jpg.

When I try to open a .jpg, I get an error message that says:
    "[filepath][filename].jpg is not a valid Win32 Application"

Files that are already .bmp open with Windows Office Picture Manager.

It doesn't matter whether I insert a .jpg or a .bmp, I still get the same tiny box without resizing handles. Office '07 does not recognize it as an image, but rather as text.

The issue kind of crept up on me. At first it was just a "Huh!" But I'm not even sure when the first instances occured. I do create a system checkpoint daily, but haven't run it because, first, I have no idea what date to start with, and because NIS screws it up, and sometimes I have to run the whole thing several times before I get a successful restore. Actually, I have run it in the last couple weeks, but I don't know if it was successful or if I just gave up for the time being.

I run a full system scan daily, using NIS, and last week I followed up with a Spybot scan. Can someone help me?

2. MyOwnSelf

MyOwnSelf Thread Starter

Oh, yeah. I'm running on XP

3. lister

lister

Try dragging the jpeg into a web browser window and see if it shows. Or download a jpeg and try to open that.
    At least it will rule out corruption.

4. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I don't use HP's software .. But I'm thinking its an organizer .. so it knows where your pictures are located.
    It sounds like you're inserting a link to the picture into Word ... and not the picture.

tif and bmp pictures will be huge file sizes .. I'd use jpg or gif to insert into a Word file.

What happens if you Right click on a picture and choose to open it in M$ Image n Fax Viewer ??

I'm not sure how you are inserting into Word .. But I usually Click n Drag the picture to Word.

5. MyOwnSelf

MyOwnSelf Thread Starter

The files open just fine when I drag them into a ie browser window.

.jpg and .gif are the two file types that consistently won't open. When I try to open a .jpg in image viewer I get an error message that says:
    "[filepath][filename].jpg is not a valid Win32 Application"

I use the Insert menu > insert picture> insert from file.

I'm going to just sit on this for a bit, because MS office is going a little (lot) haywire, and I'm busy with some research my tech told me to do.

6. Tufenuf

Tufenuf

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/801401

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice