1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Open Office 2007 Suite Works

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Marietta Mike, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Marietta Mike

Marietta Mike Thread Starter

This is my first posting; so if my question is inappropriate, please tell me.

I came upon this program on ebay. If you are familiar with it, please share your experience and thoughts. What did you find to be it's strengths and weaknesses?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I am a little confused on why it is on Ebay. It is a free download from the Open Office website.

I haven't fully converted to Open Office yet because I have to use MS at work all the time. It works quite well though.

I can't believe ebay allows this.

3. smbd

smbd

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd say that yet another person has found out how to make money on eBay. :D

That's actually against the licensing terms of Open Office, so if you'll post a link, I'd like to see that ad.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. JohnWill

From the eBay ad.
    Tell me again why I should pay to download it? ;)

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You shouldn't, no one should pay for a download.

8. JohnWill

It never ceases to amaze me what people try to pull. I like the part at the end of the post
    Say what? :rolleyes:

9. Squashman

Yeah, right.
    This is the biggest crock of you know what on the planet. I can't believe people are paying for that on eBay considering it is a digital download. eBay should have enought common sense to put two and two together and take down those auctions. Too me, this seems illegal. I would like to know where they are pointing them to download the software from.

10. Courtneyc

Courtneyc

This is in the licensing agreement:

9. Does the OpenOffice.org open source license give me the right to modify and distribute any version of StarOffice?

No. The OpenOffice.org source license does not allow anyone to modify, repackage, or redistribute any version of StarOffice, or any other commercial version of the OpenOffice.org source code without an assignment from the vendor. For StarOffice the vendor is Sun Microsystems. Additionally, the source code in the OpenOffice.org project is the development project for future releases of StarOffice, starting with StarOffice 6.0. StarOffice 5.2 code is not part of the OpenOffice.org project.

I think I will mention this to E-Bay.

Courtney sends....

11. Squashman

I sent an email to ebay already.
    Too me it seems extremely Un-Ethical to let people sell this on eBay. I believe in the American Dream and making money, but this is just taking advantage of people who don't know what they are doing.

They put right in the auction title it works with Excel. So if anyone goes searching eBay looking to buy office or excel they are going to show up in the search result. Not knowing that they can download it for free already, they are going to fork out a couple of bucks for it.

Just seems highly immoral if you ask me. I just don't see how they can legally charge for a link to a free download.

12. Marietta Mike

I appreciate the responses to my question. I like the exchange of thoughts and comments made by the respondees. I am now much more knowledgeable.

Another question.

I tried to thank JohnWill with a PM and was informed: "Sorry, but you're not yet able to send PM's. Please try again later."

What does this mean? And when will I be eligible?

13. JohnWill

When you have a few posts, PM's are enabled. This is an anti-SPAM measure that we had to institute to prevent brand new members from coming in and immediately SPAMMING people with PM's.

14. Marietta Mike

Thanks, John, for the explanation.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/597085

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice