Open Office 2007 Suite Works

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Marietta Mike

This is my first posting; so if my question is inappropriate, please tell me.

I came upon this program on ebay. If you are familiar with it, please share your experience and thoughts. What did you find to be it's strengths and weaknesses?

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I am a little confused on why it is on Ebay. It is a free download from the Open Office website.

I haven't fully converted to Open Office yet because I have to use MS at work all the time. It works quite well though.

I can't believe ebay allows this.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'd say that yet another person has found out how to make money on eBay. :D

That's actually against the licensing terms of Open Office, so if you'll post a link, I'd like to see that ad.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Triple6 said:
I've used OpenOffice and it works great for people who can't afford to buy Microsoft Office, but you shouldn't have to pay for it unless you need it on CD because you cannot download it for whatever reason.

EBay Links: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=open+office+2007&category0=

The free location for download: http://www.openoffice.org/
From the eBay ad.
** DIGITAL DOWNLOAD **
Download Immediately After Payment
Tell me again why I should pay to download it? ;)

Triple6

First Name
Rob
You shouldn't, no one should pay for a download.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It never ceases to amaze me what people try to pull. I like the part at the end of the post
This product is not in copyright violation, in any way. We are authorized distributors for this product. If you need any more information, please e-mail us.
Say what? :rolleyes:

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
JohnWill said:
It never ceases to amaze me what people try to pull. I like the part at the end of the postSay what? :rolleyes:
Yeah, right.
This is the biggest crock of you know what on the planet. I can't believe people are paying for that on eBay considering it is a digital download. eBay should have enought common sense to put two and two together and take down those auctions. Too me, this seems illegal. I would like to know where they are pointing them to download the software from.

This is in the licensing agreement:

9. Does the OpenOffice.org open source license give me the right to modify and distribute any version of StarOffice?

No. The OpenOffice.org source license does not allow anyone to modify, repackage, or redistribute any version of StarOffice, or any other commercial version of the OpenOffice.org source code without an assignment from the vendor. For StarOffice the vendor is Sun Microsystems. Additionally, the source code in the OpenOffice.org project is the development project for future releases of StarOffice, starting with StarOffice 6.0. StarOffice 5.2 code is not part of the OpenOffice.org project.

I think I will mention this to E-Bay.

Courtney sends....

Squashman

Trusted Advisor
I sent an email to ebay already.
Too me it seems extremely Un-Ethical to let people sell this on eBay. I believe in the American Dream and making money, but this is just taking advantage of people who don't know what they are doing.

They put right in the auction title it works with Excel. So if anyone goes searching eBay looking to buy office or excel they are going to show up in the search result. Not knowing that they can download it for free already, they are going to fork out a couple of bucks for it.

Just seems highly immoral if you ask me. I just don't see how they can legally charge for a link to a free download.

Marietta Mike

I appreciate the responses to my question. I like the exchange of thoughts and comments made by the respondees. I am now much more knowledgeable.

Another question.

I tried to thank JohnWill with a PM and was informed: "Sorry, but you're not yet able to send PM's. Please try again later."

What does this mean? And when will I be eligible?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
When you have a few posts, PM's are enabled. This is an anti-SPAM measure that we had to institute to prevent brand new members from coming in and immediately SPAMMING people with PM's.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts