1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Open office reminders

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mrcobra, Nov 27, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Hello all, is there a way to set up reminders in open office?

Here is what I would like to do. A friend has a business where he has lots of customers. He needs to show up at their house on a particular date. I would like to do this. When I open open office I would like to see which customers are due to be visited for the next day so I can put my schedule together. So I want to be notified by office the day before. I thought I had it figured out in Microsoft office but found out that my friend does not have Microsoft office.

Thank you for any help......

2. britekguy

britekguy

Is there any particular reason that reminders be delivered by Open Office? In MS-Office this would typically be handled by the calendar function of Outlook. In general, this would be handled by a calendar function, which Open Office does not have.

What operating system is he using? Windows 10 has a built-in Calendar app. There are calendar applications available for Windows platforms that are open source, too.

Trying to have this sort of thing delivered by Open Office is really not an effective way to do it.

3. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

The only reason I went in the direction of Open office, (open office calc) and I should have been more specific, I got the idea from reading about Microsoft excel being able to do this. In the video I watched the gentlemen opened up an excel file and blocks that were highlighted red(you can choose any color) were all of the appointments that he had "tomorrow" so he could easily see which customers he needed to call the day before and he then set his schedule. I believe my friend is using windows 7.

4. britekguy

britekguy

Well, while one could do that in a spreadsheet, in my opinion that's a grossly roundabout way to do something like this.

There are scads of calendar programs with built-in reminder capability. I use Google Calendar myself, and you can set up either e-mail notifications, pop-up notifications, or both in advance of an event for however many days, weeks, or months in advance of the event one wishes. For myself, I prefer the e-mail reminders as I can then follow-through on each and only delete the e-mail message after I know that I have. In a case like this I'd put an e-mail reminder on approximately 1 day ahead (or longer, say 27 hours, if I were trying to force "later in the day" appointment reminders to be clustered together with "earlier in the day ones") and another some number of hours ahead so that I get reminders the day before as well as the day of.

If he's using Windows 7 the clock is ticking, very loudly, as end of support approaches in January. He also needs to be making the transition to Windows 10 if he intends to continue in the Windows ecosystem.

5. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Thank you for the info Britekguy, I will look into Google calendar right now.

6. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

Well apparently Google calendar wont work for him. Someone else will be doing the scheduling so they would have to use their calendar and the only way he would be able to see the due dates is if they shared it with him. He wants to be able to log onto his computer and just open a file to see what customers are due.

7. britekguy

britekguy

I really don't get this. If someone else is scheduling then of course the calendar would be shared.

Just opening Google Calendar is no more difficult than opening a file, and using a tool meant for the task. And it isn't just Google Calendar he could use. The Thunderbird e-mail client, like Outlook, has a calendar function which allows the sharing of calendars.

Using the appropriate tool for the task, a calendar application with reminders, and particularly a cloud-based one where anyone who would need to use the same calendar can share it, is what makes sense.

8. Mrcobra

Mrcobra Thread Starter

thanks Briteguy, did some more research and I think this is the way to go after speaking with my buddy

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236314

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice