1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

open ports 3862 & 3863 UDP.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by MICK79, Oct 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MICK79

MICK79 Thread Starter

How do I open ports 3862 & 3863 UDP.

I am trying to connect to Novaworld, & I was sent the advice as follows....

"Novaworld servers use dynamic ports, but these are not in line with proxy port routing".

They thought I was behind a Firewall (but I`m not), and I was told to ensure the above ports are open.

Regards Mick...........

2. TOGG

TOGG

Mick79,

Welcome to TSG!

I don't play online games, my computer and I are both too old and too slow!

One thought that occurs to me is that your ISP routinely operates via a proxy so that the Novaworld servers can't 'see' your computer. Check your ISP's website or helpline.

My limited understanding is, that if you don't have a firewall, most, if not all, of your ports will be open by default. Whether that is correct and whether it is a good idea not to use a firewall is a separate, but vitally important, issue.

3. MICK79

MICK79 Thread Starter

Thanyou TOGG for that advice. I`m going to give that a try.
    I`ll keep you infomed on the outcome........

THX Again.....

Regards Mick

4. TOGG

TOGG

Mick,

If you haven't solved your problem yet there is a possibility that you have a program on your computer that includes a proxy. These include some download accelerators, content filters or ad blockers.

You should be able to check this by going to IE/Tools/Internet Options and click on the connections tab. Select your ISP and click Settings. If IE is using proxy software on your PC, under proxy server the address will be shown as 'localhost' (127.0.0.1). If the the proxy server address is a proper internet address then your ISP's proxy may be causing the problem.

I just read all this in a magazine I am about to throw away - hope it helps.

5. MICK79

MICK79 Thread Starter

Togg.......thanks 4 that........sounds good 2 me..........
    I`m gonna try that (come to think of it.......I did dowload a programme that........spies,,,etc...and change cookies.....isp..addresses).......

Thanx TOGG........

I`ll keep you informed......

Regards....Mick

6. MICK79

MICK79 Thread Starter

TOGG........I've eliminated my spy programmes.
    Alas, I still can't get any joy..........

Thanx anyway......

Best regards......Mick......

7. TOGG

TOGG

Mick,

Sorry not to have been more help.

What did your ISP say about whether it was using proxies and, if it was, how you could bypass them?

You said you weren't using a firewall but are you using a router?
    There is quite a bit of material on Google about adjusting routers to open ports (some, if not all, have built in firewalls that may need settings changed).

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169650

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice