1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

open ports!!!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Mickeyredlad, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mickeyredlad

Mickeyredlad Thread Starter

I have done a scan on my pc and here are a lists of ports it says are open is it possible to close them? if so do i need to and how??

NetBIOS 139

WEB 80

Server Message Block 445

Aparrantly the netbios one is the one that needs to be closed!

2. e-liam

e-liam

Hi Mickeyredlad,

Does your firewall have the facility to configure your ports?

If not, there are plenty of free firewalls that will stealth block them all.

Cheers

Liam

3. Topkat

Topkat

Since I'm only guessing what your OS is, here's a link to disable NetBios. As far as I'm aware this won't be necessary for the average home pc user, unless you're on network.

This port (139) is used by trojans, check link to see which.

e-liam is right though, the only really safe thing to do is to download a free firewall. Although free they will still everything you need them to.
    I recommend Sygate myself, for first time FW user

4. BillC

BillC

Dittos with TopCat and E-Liam....get a firewall. I happen to be partial to Zone Alarm. It too is free and does a great job.

Anyway, that's my view. :)

5. e-liam

e-liam

Hi all,

Just a note, but I think Mickey must alraedy have a firewall of some description. With only 3 out of some 44,000 open, something has to be screening them. :)

Cheers

Liam

6. Mickeyredlad

I run that scan with my firewall disabled, i think it was just a quick scan. I use sygate myself is that enough to close the ports when it is active?

7. Topkat

Topkat

I use Sygate myself and it does a great job. It has caught all port scans thrown at me, and recently saved me from RPC exploit. Doing a scan with your FW disabled is like taking a penalty without a goalkeeper. It's not going to tell you if you're FW is doing it's job.
    I would still recommend that you disable NetBios since it's not needed by home pc user as far as I can see.

8. Mickeyredlad

Just tried the stealht scan and it appears that im fully stealthed.
    All done! thanks guys.

9. greensleeve

greensleeve Guest

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice