open/view a .lnk file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

johnnyreb1

Hi,

Please can somebody explain to me how to open/view a .lnk file.

I am running a Microsoft ME system and not very computer literate.

My friend hs emailed me some holiday photo's and sent them in an attachment as a .lnk file.

Every time I click on the attachment and try to download attachment, the message " Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have appropriate permissions to access the item". appears and fails to open attachment.

I've saved attachments to a floppy disc, created a shortcut to my desktop and tried to use PowerPoint (suggested by a friend), Word. Notepad, Corel to open, but each time I try these applications I get the message " The shortcut 'Jens_hols.lnk' refers to a location unavailable. The location could be on a hard drive on this computer, on a network or on a different computer on your home network. Check to make sure the disk is properly inserted, or that you are connected to the Internet or home network and then try again"

I've been on http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm to try and sort but no success.

I would be most grateful if any one can point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
Johnnyreb1

DoubleHelix

Banned
An .LNK file is a link (shortcut). It's not an actual file that can be opened. It's a shortcut to a file. It sounds like your friend sent you a shortcut rather than the actual file, which is most likely on their computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online