1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"open with" boxes a pain!

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by wolf34, Nov 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wolf34

wolf34 Thread Starter

Hello, I sure hope you can help me! I got an email from my daughter with a picture file (paper clip) attached. It wouldn't open and I got the box pop-up that says "open with". I forgot to uncheck the box at the bottom that says "use this to open all files of this type" or something like that. Anyway, it didn't open it and now every file she sends me is in that format I put it in (quickview) and I don't know how to change it back, or what the file was she sent, because now it all turns into quickview and I can't open it either! Please tell me how to get to this box and change it back!

2. hornetsjet

hornetsjet

just click on view--folder option in ur toolbar.

then u'll choose open file with...

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    It's easy to reassociate the file type to the correct program to "Open With" but first you need to figure out what you need to use to correctly open the attached file.

Right click on one of the files and select Properties. What does it say next to "MSDos Name"?

4. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Bryan,
    There is also a reg tweek that removes the check mark from the "Open With" box. It might be useful in helping to prevent this in the future. The only problem is, I forgot what it was.

5. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    John, the problem I've experienced with that tweak is, if you have a file type that's completely new to your system, when you select the "Always open.." box, it doesn't automatically create the file association for you. You've got to add it manually and that's not something most people would be comfortable with. Unless there's a way that I'm not aware of to fix that problem, I don't recommend that tweak.

Anyway, here it is if your interested in testing it. You'd edit this key and remove the %1 from the end to remove the default check in "Always open..."

HKEY_Classes_Root\unknown\shell\openas\command

This is how it looks by default

C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL %1

And this is the way you'd want it to look if you want to remove the default check mark

C:\WINDOWS\rundll32.exe shell32.dll,OpenAs_RunDLL

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice