Open with dialog box always open

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

wjb0519

Whenever I try to run programs such as Internet Explorer or Microsoft Word I get a OPEN WITH dialog box asking me to choose which of the recommended programs I want to use. Currently they are Internet Explorer or Microsoft Word. When I click on Internet Explorer, IE momentarily open then closes and another dialog box open. asking me if I want to run c:\programs files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe. When I click on RUN another dialog box open asking me if I want to run Windows Vista SE Build. If I click on RUN I return to the OPEN WITH dialog box and starts the cycle over again. When I tried to run PROGRAM UPDATES in the CONTROL PANEL, I got a message about not being able to find RUNDLL32.EXE. Thinking I had a corrupted file, I copied a good RUNDLL32.EXE from my primary machine. No change after copying the file.

I've run Norton AV and found no viruses. Interesting in that running Norton's did not initiate the OPEN WITH dialog box.

System Compaq Presario
Windows XP SP3
Pentium D 820 processor
1GB memory

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

If you can't connect to the Web with your computer, download the fix from a working computer and copy it to a USB flash drive. Then, plug it into the faulty computer, copy the file to the desktop, and run the fix.

wjb0519

Thanks. Worked like a charm. Out curiosity, what caused the problem in the first place. I did have some power failures while the system was running.

Phantom010

Trusted Advisor
It's hard to say. It can be caused by malware and/or registry corruption.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online