1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"Open With" troubles

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Brookston, Jan 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Brookston

Brookston Thread Starter

I didn't notice that the 'Always use this program..." box was checked before I clicked OK. Now, I have made a configuration file (.cfg) ALWAYS open with Notepad. I clicked the "change" button, but there are no programs or icons that I can recognize for a config file. It seems to me that this could be important. Especially since I am trying to follow a software vendor's instructions for loading a program and generating some sort of troubleshooting report. The program doesn't do what the vendor says it's supposed to, and I'm wondering if my "Open With..." mistake is the reason.

Can you help?:confused:

Thank You!!

2. JJJecj71

JJJecj71

Try explorer but don't check that box so this will not hurt you to try other extensions.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

I doubt it. That is a setting for the User to use to open and /or view the file, not for the program. The program should know what to do with it.

But if you would like to change it back to the default, go to start>run and type regedit. Press enter. .cfg is not associated in my registry.

Navigate to:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.CFG
    Click >CFG and look in the right pane for this entry:

Application.
    Right click on Application and choose delete from the menu.

4. NetEngineer

NetEngineer

To Change File Associations:

1)Right-click a file with the extension whose association you want to change, and then click Open With.
    2)In the Open With dialog box, click the program in which you want the file to open, or click Browse to locate the program you want.
    3)Select the correct program to open with then "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box."

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice