OpenBSD & Gnome

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ACD

Has anyone successfully got this working? I really havent found much info on setting it up to actually work, just on how to use it after it is setup. Also, does it only work on the console, or can it be used from another PC like Terminal services does with Windows? I want to use a windows type interface so I can do some heavy editing of certain configurations and I am not VI friendly.

ACD

I did, I have WindowMaker, Gnome, and a few others installed, BUT I dont know where to go from there. I cant seem to get wmaker to work, I get an error message "wmaker fatal error: could not open display """

The other part is can I have a remote desktop on my laptop that is from the BSD box instead of an SSH session? Similiar to having server access from my laptop via terminal services to my SBS 2003 server.

ACD

OK, After much swearing and complaining, I finally got Gnome to work on OpenBSD, but found the machine is a wee bit slow to have it work well. At least in the process of doing so I learned more on how to navigate through OpenBSD, and with Gnome I can work the file system a bit quicker.

Wow. I've never met anyone who could work their way through an FS faster through nautilus than through good old [ba|c|k|z]sh.

ACD

I grew up on WinDoZe! I dont know Linux commands that well and poke and plug my way through it and dont know where anything is located, using the my computer window I can find things much easier, once I know where the files are I can use the xterm to copy, move, delete, etc the files. I like using the GUI for editing too since I do a lot of stuff off a web site, mainly Cisco, so I can have a Firefox window and another window with a term session or editing window etc. same as I do in WinDoZe. :) I am sure once I become fluent in the linux commands I can do it much easier through the Comm than through the gui. :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online