1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OpenDNS

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by ecko69x, Oct 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

I live near the Toronto area (Canada Ontario). Which public OpenDNS would be the fastest for me? Rogers is my ISP.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

3. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

5. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

I'm using Google's right now and the jitter in my ping is too big. Around 20-30.

6. TOGG

TOGG

There is a small piece of freeware called 'Domain Name Speed Benchmark' on Steve Gibsons' site which claims to be able to identify the fastest DNS servers available to your computer; http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I have no idea if the claims made for this software are justified but you can read about it and make up your own mind. When I ran the benchmark it, not surprisingly, identified my ISP's (Virgin Media cable) servers as the fastest with Open DNS in 4th or 5th place, but the differences between the various performance figures appeared to be miniscule.

If you do try it, make sure you read all the information about how to use it and interpret the conclusions.

7. zbd21

zbd21

8. ecko69x

ecko69x Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the help. If anyone actually uses a public OpenDNS near the Toronto and they know it's faster than their ISP let me know; otherwise I'll give these DNS' a test.

9. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Stop using the term OpenDNS so loosely. OpenDNS is a service in itself. What you are asking for is Public DNS servers.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1024844

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice