1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OpenGL vs Direct3D which to choose

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rev Darkwing, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rev Darkwing

Rev Darkwing Thread Starter

I am still trying to get my new Radeon 9600 Pro video card and system to quit frame freezing and spontaneous rebooting. (By the way, ATI is one of the few component manufacturers I ahve run across who actually provide tech support and you can get through without waiting for 6.8 hours in a que so kudos to them.)

Anyway, as I look at my Display Settings, I am once again presented with choosing between Direct3D and OpenGL and don't know which to select. I started to research it but the tech-speak simply gave me a headache so I thought I would go the world's best website for expert advice... namely here.

The primary graphics intense use of this computer is in sim games such as NASCAR 2003, Colin McRae 3 and Battlefield 1942 if that is of any help. My daughter plays a lot of "The Sims" and the computer is supposed to be more for her but scr*w that! The Sims work fine anyway. I need to drive fast and kill people and that is MUCH more important than a bunch of squabbling neighbors.

So, which is going to get me the best performance and least problems? I really appreciate the input and thanks in advance.

2. Rev Darkwing

Oh.. for the record here is the rest of the configuration

ASUS A7V333 Mobo
    1024 DDR 333
    Soundblaster Live! Sound Card
    300W P/S
    Athelon 1600 XP CPU

3. moebius

moebius

lol @ the context of ur message! >>

My daughter plays a lot of "The Sims" and the computer is supposed to be more for her but scr*w that! The Sims work fine anyw

4. moebius

moebius

lol @ the context of ur message! >>

My daughter plays a lot of "The Sims" and the computer is supposed to be more for her but scr*w that! The Sims work fine anyway. I need to drive fast and kill people and that is MUCH more important than a bunch of squabbling neighbors.

<<

direct3d works with (i think, it should be very close to this>>) 99% of all new or fairly or even very old games out there.

fewer games support opengl. if ur games support opengl i suggest u go for it, as it has better performance. when i played half life, which supports both d3d and opengl and also a software engine, i found *NO* difference between d3d and soft. opengl was considerable better, and faster.

co-incidentally, im using and ati also, >> 8500 radeon

5. Rev Darkwing

thanks for that. So does this mean that I would have to go in and change my display settings as necessary to play different games or will the games be able to switch the system without my having to go in and change it?

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Try going into the BIOS(press Delete key at startup) and set FastWrites to Disabled. Set AGP Aperture to 64 or 128. You don't HAVE to change settings for different games to work. This is just a configuration/driver problem. Also the settings in the ATI Control Panel can be adjusted. What version video drivers are you using? Is this a "BUILT BY"(pure ATI card) or "POWERED BY"(3rd party card)? If 3rd party, what brand(Sapphire, PowerColor, etc)?

7. compilerxp

compilerxp

Youre video card does both, depending on what the software is asking for... usually you won't have much of a choice in this.

You haven't said which one is crashing.

If its in OpenGl - then ATi has issues to fix. (Ive heard quite a bit of slow OpenGL performance from the Radeon Line from some owners) If its DirectX - install verison 9.

The SIMS - is not a 3D game, it doesn't use any power of a 3D video card... it needs CPU power.

- make sure you have the latest Mobo drivers installed 4-in-1, etc.

8. Rev Darkwing

This is a pure built by ATI card. I think fastwrites is already disabled in BIOS but i will check.

So, if the game itself can select which mode to use, then what should I put on the display settings for the computer itself, openGL or Direct3D or did I misunderstand.

The Sims part was humor... I know it isn't the same as the others.

DirectX 9 already installed.

Vid card is the one crashing I assume. Am getting frozen screen which leads me to suspect the vid card. when it crashes to reboot.. i don't know which it is. I usually hear a funny noise as it crashes to reboot but sound continues with freeze screen.

9. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

Pull the sidecover off the case and see if you can pinpoint the "funny noise".

10. Rev Darkwing

funny noise is coming through the speakers.. whatever sound is happening at the time.. then there is this sort of BRRRRTTTTT... then darkness

11. Rev Darkwing

oh.. I just installed the new 3.8 driver for the Radeon, the 1017 version of BIOS for the ASUS, and the most recent driver for the Sound blaster live. Also have installed the most recent Via Hyperion 4IN1 driver as well.

I think i got them all up to date. and the FastWrite was already disabled and the AGP Apature was just increased from 64 to 128 under the instructions of Radeon.

Now.. with this latest change I have not yet put this thing to the test to see if I can get the freeze frame or the crash to reboot to happen again.. but still am looking for advice on the OpenGL vs Direct3D and which i should have my "Display Settings" set to.

12. moebius

moebius

up2 u
    if compatibility is the issue, use direct
    if performace is the issue, use opengl
    if u would like to see game graphics like movies, wait 6 years for Farenhiet-D8

i think that setting is for the primary engine if a program/game supports both.
    my manual says so...

13. Rev Darkwing

To old to wait 6 years .. sadly.. so will default to OpenGL. I am looking for performance which is why I keep upgrading parts. Seems to be an symptom of home geek wannabes. Always looking for the next bottleneck to remove to improve performance...

Still, really hate it when things go wrong.. so will keep awareness of the GL issue and try that if I am having a problem with a particular game. .. Sounds reasonable at least.

14. moebius

moebius

the biggest bottleneck u can hope to remove is storage
    ur harddisk is the slowest part in your system

15. Rev Darkwing

Well I have a new 120 gig WD hard drive with all the bells and whistles like extra cache. I can't remember what all it had but it was a good-un. Had to upgrade that cause with a few games you can use up storage like crazy. Still Ill bet i don't have but 20% of this one used up now.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!