Opening a DAT file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Geezer77

This comes up from time to time. I click on a file icon and receive a "No-No" message, such as: "This file needs 'My.exe' to open files of DAT type. Where is 'My.exe?' " I have no idea what the machine is talking about. Comments appreciated, with definitions, in low computer literacy language.
Thank you.

Styxx

Banned
Windows is just telling you that you need a program installed that's not there to view that kind of file. OK?

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
.DAT is a fairly generic extension that's applied to a number of types of files. Normally, they're internal data for an application, and never intended to be opened in on their own, so they have no file association bound to them. Perhaps a file called MY.EXE was bound to the .DAT file type, and has since been deleted.

If that DAT is a big one, try opening it with the media player. Sometimes they are videos.

Geezer77

To STYxx-You are probably correct. The computer does not say what a "My.exe" is but it sounds like it is a program. I often do not understand why I should open a "DAT" file.
Further comments?
Thank you all.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online