1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening a downloaded prograg ????

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by rickn109, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rickn109

rickn109 Thread Starter

:confused:
    I need a little help here, I downloaded a program but I can't open it. When it downloaded, the ending of the file was ".iso". After it was downloded, I rightclicked on the file since it was not ".exe" file and I was ask to "Open with" .I went to a list of several options. I went through all of the options and nothing I had would open the file. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can open this file. Also, what type of prgram do I need to put this into an exe. type form. I am currently running WIN 98 SE.

2. TOGG

TOGG

rickn,

A Google search suggests that this is a Linux component so unless you have Linux you probably wont be able to read it. Look here;http://www.linuxiso.org/

3. shaygate

shaygate

I don't recognise the file extension but what did you think you were downloading ?

All files have an extension dependant on what kind of information they are carrying, for example an executable file (one you can run) has an. exe extension, a word processing file might have a .DOC extension and a picture could have a .JPG

When you double click or try to open a file your computer has to make a decision what to do with it based on the 'Association' it has for that extension, an example would be your .DOC file, when you open it the computer recognises that it belongs to Word for Windows and starts that programme and passes the file to it for action, a .JPG could be passed to PhotoShop or a similar graphics programme. If it doesn't recognise the extension or have an Association for it then it will ask you for help to decide which programme to use, hence the dialog you described.

So we come back to my first question, what did you think you were downloading and do you have the parent software installed to allow you to use it ?

Hope this is of some use :)

Ian

4. pvc9

pvc9

Download Winrar from this link -

Download Winrar

Install the program, now you should be able to view/open the downloaded file.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice