1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening a file

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Vistz, May 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vistz

Vistz Thread Starter

When you go to download a document from online, you're given the option of either saving or opening it. If you choose to open it, where is the document saved?

2. bicycle bill

bicycle bill Banned

It is not saved anywhere. at that point. If you select open it you will be asked if you want to run it. I usually save to desktop and then check it with my virus or mailware program before opening it unless I am absolutely sure of the sites legitimacy.

3. Vistz

Vistz Thread Starter

What if you click save (not SAVE AS). I know I've done that before because when you open the file and click save, it doesn't ask you for a location to save it.

*Like a Microsoft Word document

4. TheOutcaste

TheOutcaste

When you click Open, the file is usually saved onto your hard drive, IE uses the Temporary Internet Files folder, Firefox uses the user's Temp folder. You can sometimes find out where the file is at by clicking File | Properties in whatever program the file opens in, then go to the General tab and check the location line (it is scrollable, click on it and use the arrow keys). Alt+Enter will sometimes work as well.

IE should prompt where you want to save, though depending on which version you are running, you can sometimes select to always open certain file types. That can be reset from Control Panel | Folder Options | File Types
    Find the extension for the file that is being automatically opened, highlight it, click the Advanced button, then check the box for Confirm open after download.

Firefox can be set to always download to a specific location, or to prompt.
    Click Tools | Options | Main, choose Always Save to and specify a location, or choose Always ask me where to save files.

If you click File | Save on a document you have open in a program, it is saved to the location from which it was opened. You can click File | Save As, which usually defaults to the current location, or check the file properties, File | Properties (Word 2003) or File | Prepare | Properties (for Word 2007)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!