1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

opening acces databases

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Linuxisalive, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Linuxisalive

Linuxisalive Thread Starter

The problem is: a system made out of old computers (only the harddisk and processor 'new') that runs on SuSe Linux 7.3

With this system I should have to work with a acces2000 database

I see two way's out

- get a programm that can run acces ddb for linux (if you know one, please tell me)
    - install windows
    the disk has a 10GB fat partition for that, but I can't get windows installed , I have all stuff for a windows 2000 instalation, but the system's floppy drive is broken, so if I have to load the 4 windows 2000 bootdisks, makes a mistake in disk 2 or three (linux made it somehow) and the system hangs........
    The CD-Rom is old, very old (1995 or 6) and I fear it doesn't support booting .....
    So, how can I get a windows bootimage on the hard disk so lilo can load it and I can install windows,......

(if you can solve this one your are - a genius
    - doing something Bill Gates will put you in jail for)

2. patch-man

patch-man

Any special reason you need Access? Could you use MySQL?

3. Linuxisalive

Linuxisalive Thread Starter

I must open a MDB ddb and edit the Visual Basic code, so if Mysql can do that, i could use that

4. patch-man

patch-man

No, MySQl won't do that, but it is a fully SQL compliant database server. You could try OpenOffice (www.openoffice.org). Not sure if there is an access conversion in there or not, though. Sorry I don't seem to be of much help here.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!