1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening ASCI text data files in Excel or Access

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by jeepsterblue, Aug 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepsterblue

jeepsterblue Thread Starter

I receive data files in ASCI text. I want to open them in Excel or in Access but I do not want to spend 2 days counting spaces. Sometimes, I do not even have a clearly delineated file format to help me break it out.
    Any tips?

2. pinntech

pinntech

None that I know of without you having to do all the leg work. What is the source of the text file? As in where is it coming from, what program does it originate in?

No way of having them save it into a format that Excel or Access can import?

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

What type of information is contained in the text file you recieve? Depending on how the data is returned to you, you could always use an Excel macro to open the text file and to extract only the information you need. Without seeing an example its hard to say whether or not this is an option for you. I receive one report in text format that has information spread out all over it. I was able to pick out the information that I needed by locating certain "keywords" in the document and then taking only the values that appeared next to them.

Rollin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice