1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening Compaq Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Magus Zeal, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Magus Zeal

Magus Zeal Thread Starter

I feel a little ashamed for asking this (since I do networking for a living), but I've got a Compaq Presario 6435CL here (bleh, yes, I know. But it's the parents computer, which I broke accidentally), with a dead HD. How it died exactly, I'm not sure. What happened on my end is that for some obscure reason, Windows wouldn't boot on this computer anymore (mine), so I took the HD out to plug into their computer so I could backup files before I reinstalled. Well, for some reason, their HD has stopped being recognized by the BIOS, due to I believe a dead controller, probably caused by a suicidal seagate in the presence of my WD HD.

Question is this: How the )(*[email protected]$ do I open that case? It all appears to be bolted down, with only one panel opening, and screws on both sides of the drive bay (and the drive bay doesn't come out, either!).

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. SacsTC

SacsTC

3. Magus Zeal

Been there. Doesn't help. There is no "other" side panel (there's only one), and so far as I can tell, the front panel doesn't come off. The top, bottom and other side of the case are all one -solid- part that's bolted to the case (literally, BOLTED).

4. Magus Zeal

Ok, so the front panel DID come off (the tabs that were holding it in were concealed within the inside of the case and had to be pried off), and the HD is now out.

5. Big-E

Big-E

Lol, I work in technical services at a local college for my summer job and they have like a whole fleet of Dells and some of the older ones have some messed up ways of opening, usually the task at hand is actually getting inside the case to fix the damn computer. ;) It feels some stupid when someone comes by and pushes that damn button to open it up. :p

6. Magus Zeal

Yeah. Now my problem is getting the HD fixed. I'm considering sending it into a data recovery place, rather than have to take it apart and solder on a new circuit board (since I believe the problem lies with a dead HD controller). Last place I called though, said the drive was "just too old" (and it's only about 3-4 years old -- I'm calling that out).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/373882

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice