1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening file in word processor

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by E. Lange, Jan 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. E. Lange

E. Lange Thread Starter

Happy New Year to all.
    Small nagging default screen that I would like to change. Inside any word processor, Notepad, Wordpad, MSPub, MSWord, Pagemaker...
    after I have started the program. If I want to open a file I click on "file, then open". At that point an "OPEN" popup window appears with the "Look in: "field already defaulted to "My Documents" in the directory of C: . Of course I can click on the down arrow and select any other drive/directory. Since I never use "my Documents" I would like to change this default to just another Drive and leave the Look in: field blank.

Any ideas please?

Thanks,

E.L.

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Wow. Tough one, E. Why? Because most of these programs have it in a different place:

Microsoft Word: Go to Tools-Options and click on the File Locations tab. Double-click the Documents location and put in whatever location you want it to go to.

Pagemaker: I believe this is stored in the PM65.ini file, which you'll open with notepad or Word, find "My Documents" and change it to whatever you want it to be. Make sure you don't save the ini file as a document (save it as a text file with the ini extension) when you close it.
    Let me know if you can't find it.

Notepad (and probably Wordpad): I found this in the registry under hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\current version\explorer\user shell folders\personal

I suspect you'll find Publisher's under Tools-Options somewhere.

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

3. E. Lange

E. Lange Thread Starter

Dreamboat: Thanks for the info. Used it to get MS Word, Notepad (write) to change and it works great. I could not find the ini file for pm65(plus) and when I poked around inside the PM65 directory I found a file called pm65reg.txt I took a look at it by double clicking. It opened in wordpad I scrolled through and couldn't find anything to do with "c:\documents" so I exited without saving. I also double clicked on aldvm32.dll by mistake, but I quickly saw my error. The text was ascii (I think) mostly squares. so I exited out of that without saving as well. Now if I try to open pm 65 I get 2 messages:
    1) PM65 caused an invalid page fault in
    module ALDVM32.DLL at 0167:10018007.
    Registers:
    EAX=00e5a1ca CS=0167 EIP=10018007 EFLGS=00010a03
    EBX=00000000 SS=016f ESP=0107f8f9 EBP=0107f920
    ECX=00e5eb78 DS=016f ESI=00000001 FS=5aff
    EDX=00000032 ES=016f EDI=00e5ee18 GS=51fe
    Bytes at CS:EIP:

and
    2)

PM65 caused an invalid page fault in
    module PICTPAL.ADD at 0167:01ed2d5e.
    Registers:
    EAX=0107fc40 CS=0167 EIP=01ed2d5e EFLGS=00010202
    EBX=01ed0000 SS=016f ESP=0107fc0c EBP=00000001
    ECX=00000000 DS=016f ESI=01ee4010 FS=40b7
    EDX=00000001 ES=016f EDI=01ee4010 GS=0000

Sorry to have messed up. Any ideas? I will re-install Pm65 but can't read any info if I should remove PM65 or re-instal over top of it.
    Still would like to try and find that .ini file to change carry on my original request as PM65 is the program we use the most.
    Regards
    Eric

4. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Sorry that happened. I would reinstall PM65. Here's that answer tho. Right-click your PM65 shortcut and hit properties. The Start In directory is the default documents directory.

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

5. E. Lange

E. Lange Thread Starter

Ok, thanks much. It just so happens I get an MTX_.exe error message that started popping up and someone on the other forum suggested that it is a virus. Some detective work shows that it appeared on Dec 15, how I don't know but it may be related to the PM65 not booting problem. Thanks for your help

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/38379

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice