1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening folder causes internet explorer to open and close rapidly

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by foxcomputers, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. foxcomputers

foxcomputers Thread Starter

Hi Guys - wondering if anyone can help me here.

If I open windows explorer (double click icon on desktop) it opens a new window with my documents and folder icons as normal.
    If I then select any of the folders in that window and double click, immediately internet explorer opens and closes non-stop, and just flashes on the screen. I can see the the process ieexplorer.exe is being started and stopped repeatedly.

This only occurs when IE7 is installed, if I go back to IE6 the problem stops. Whilst this is the obvious solution I am enquiring as to whether anything else could be done to resolve this.

Have looked at folder options, file types & folder properties in my computer and they are set to open and point to explorer.exe, so it is a mystery why this occurs :confused:

2. foxcomputers

Bump - does anyone have any ideas please

3. jwinathome

jwinathome

iexplorer.exe is SPYWARE/ADWARE

ieexplore.exe (without the additional r) is the only correct one. You need to follow the appropriate steps to remove malware from your computer. Google "remove malware"

4. foxcomputers

Hi thanks for the reply the process was iexplore.exe my mistake in typing the wrong name, just as an update, I ended up uninstalling IE7, then re-installing windows Xp as a repair option and then re-install IE7 it is all o.k. now.

It would have been nice to know what caused it but the customer wanted the PC back tonight so in the end that was the quickest option - many thanks.

5. jwinathome

jwinathome

IE7 is definitely not the greatest thing in the world, if the customer has the problem again, you might suggest they roll back to IE6 and stay with it or convert to another web browser such as FIREFOX or OPERA.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550174

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice