1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening folders prompts installation process

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by frustratedman, Nov 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frustratedman

frustratedman Thread Starter

Hi
    Any ideas? - I'm running XP, SP2, and every time I open a folder, whether My Computer, Control Panel or on my desktop, the installation of Adobe Acrobat begins. If I then cancel the installation, the desired window opens up and I can navigate up and down as normally - it only happens on the initial double-click to open the folder.
    The only thing I've been doing recently that might have changed settings and prompted this was in attempting (without success) to set up a home network. I've run a full AVG virus scan without results.
    Thanks for any help!

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

Why not instead finsh the installation, as it sounds like it is not complete. is this Adobe Reader or the full Acrobat program?

3. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    If it keeps happening, try uninstalling Adobe and rebooting.
    If things then work, download a new copy of Version 8.1.1 and install it.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Or do the updates Adobe may be asking for when fully installed.

5. frustratedman

Thanks for the prompt ideas.
    It's an update to the full Acrobat, v7. So I've tried to let it run through; it downloads updates for 7.05 thru 7.09...but then the update fails because it says:
    Error 1317: An error occurred while attempting to create the directory C:\Docs and Settings\All Users\Documents\Adobe PDF
    [Thinking about this now, it all started when Adobe Updater downloaded a bunch of updates]
    I'm logged in as the administrator, and sure enough that Documents folder can't be opened, it says access is denied. In Properties the 'read only' box is shaded (ie not ticked, not empty); clearing it doesn't work, as it simply reverts back to its previous state after clicking 'apply'.
    Any more thoughts?

6. Rich-M

Rich-M

Uninstall Adobe Acrobat, then reboot and reinstall it and this time click "Help" and immediately "check for updates" and hopefully it will complete.

7. frustratedman

Hi
    OK, maybe I'm no longer posting in the right place, but I can't even uninstall Acrobat 7.0; I removed it using add/remove, but the installer just kicks in when I restart and puts it back (!) It's no longer listed in the apps in 'Add/remove programs', even tho' it's still fully working - I can see that all the elements of the app are still there in the C:\Program Files\Adobe folder.
    Any way I can sure-fire delete the application? Can I just ditch the Acrobat 7.0 folder (612MB)?

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

See if in "Run,msconfig,ok,startup"Adobe Acrobat shows up checked. If yes uncheck them hit apply and reboot.

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

10. frustratedman

Still no joy. Acrobat 7.0 was checked in the start-up tab, so I unchecked it, but that made no difference. Also unchecked Adobe Gamma and Adobe Gamma Loader, just in case, no difference there either. Maybe it is VersionCueCS2Tray ?? That is checked, when I uncheck it and reboot, it automatically becomes checked again, and the whole saga of 'installing updates' begins again! Not sure where I go from here to uninstall...?

11. frustratedman

PS Elvanil, thanks for that tip, but I need the full Acrobat for work so I don't think that's an option (even if I could uninstall it...)

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

There is a full editor from them, but it's not free. Only the reader is free.

If you are still having problems with the folders, you could at least try restoring the default registry entries for folders in case that has changed.

File, Drive, and Folder Open Fix

13. frustratedman

Maybe I'll consider a switch after I solve my immediate problem...!

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

We passed each other.

15. Elvandil

Elvandil

As for the Documents, try taking ownership of the folder if you still don't have access.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

Be sure that "System" has full access, too, for the uninstallation/installation.

Run chkdsk /r on that drive when you have the chance.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/647663

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice