1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening Forwarded Attachments in Outlook 2000

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by dhersh, Jan 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dhersh

dhersh Thread Starter

I've always used Netscape & Netscape Messenger but a new PIM has me playing with Outlook 2000 & IE6 in Win98.

My problem is that I got an e-mail with a plain text attachment that had been forwarded a number of times before it reached me.

In the Netscape preview pane I see all headers from the various forwards and the message itself at the end of them. In Outlook I just see the attachment icon. Clicking on this just opens another window with the next header and an attachment icon. I then have to keep clicking on this and opening as many windows as there were forwards till I get to the original and finally see the message.

It's annoying enough to discourage me from using Outlook for mail, but it's also annoying enough that there must be a way around it that I'm missing.

Any ideas?

Also...I would just stay with Netscape but I'm getting tired of a recurring problem there. On a fairly regular basis, after surfing for a while pages stop loading. Invariably I close Netscape, hit CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Close Program window, and there is Netscape listed as still running. I select it, hit End Task, wait for the Program is Not Responding dialogue and close it again. Then I can restart Netscape and everything is back to normal...till it eventually happens again. This behavior does is not related to my machine since I've seen the same behavior on machines at work and on my both of my kids machines.

Any thoughts on this would also be appreciated.

2. Brooks

Brooks Guest

I have been looking for a way to do this for over a year now. I like the calendering functions and the junk email filter, but having to open up 6 windows to read a 3 line sentence gets on my nerves.

What version of Netscape are you using?

Netscape 4.79 was supposed to have fixed this problem and I know my wife has not complained about it since I installed it on her computer.

http://home.netscape.com/download/index.html?cp=dju1

3. dhersh

dhersh Thread Starter

Hard to beleive that this was never addressed in Outlook. I get too many forwarded messages like this to put up with having to do the multiple window thing.

As far as Netscape goes. I tried 6.2 but still find that it takes forever to load so I went back to 4.79.

I never had any mail problems with any version of Netscape, but I still have the other problem when surfing.

4. Brooks

Brooks Guest

Yeah, she had the problem where the links would stop working. I uninstalled Netscape keeping only her bookmarks, deleted all the folders and cleaned out the registry. Then I installed 4.79. She has not complained about it since. I also used the complete version not that smartupdate version.

You can use IE, and use Netscape for your mail program. This would avoid the surfing problem, and still leave you with the email program that you like.

Just go to the tools folder in IE, click on options, click on programs. Then select the email program that you want to use.

What is really weird, is that Netscape is really the only one that shows attachments inline very well.

Opera does not, Outlook and Outlook Express don't. Neither do theBat or Pegasus mail.

Eudora kind of does, but it can hangup on some things.

5. dhersh

dhersh Thread Starter

That sounds like a good idea since I did use the Smart Update to bring it up to 4.79 I'll give it a try. If that works I'll probably just stick with Netscape all around. I've been trying out IE6 but so far see no particular reason to switch to it if I can get Netscape to behave. IE doesn't seem any faster and it seems to be missing some of the right click functionality that I'm used to in Netscape. Anything I'm missing that would tilt it in IE's favor?

Actually I see that Netscape's now up to a 6.2.1 version. Maybe I'll give that a shot and see if it loads quicker than 6.2 did.

Sort of interesting that they're keeping both 4.79 and 6.2.1 going at the same time. Sort of makes me leery about the new one and like I said, I did try 6.2 and dumped it. But what the hell, it's only time spent in front of the screen, might as well try it.

Thanks for your help

6. Brooks

Brooks Guest

The 4.7 series is being developed by Sun Microsystems because to satisfy some of thier corporate customers to be used with thier Iplanet servers.

The 6.x series is based on the open source Mozilla Project and is based more on the work of individuals than a corporation.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64306

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice