1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

opening jpg file

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by jackstarke, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jackstarke

jackstarke Thread Starter

I have added captions using Picasa and would like to display caption on opening file in windows 10

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

In File Explorer, you can choose additional colums to display. Right click on the titles row and choose additional columns.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Picasa is dead ... You need to find another app.
    I use Irfanview and Photoshop Elements when I really need an advanced image editor.

What you see (or can see) when opening an Image ... depends on the program that opens it.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Remember that any of these third part addins that add "Captions" will require them to be installed on every machine that you want to see these captions.
    Why not just use the tools that come within Windows, check out what can be done using the Properties and then the "Details" tab.

5. jackstarke

Thanks for your prompt reply. Using Windows Explorer is exactly how I would like to display my jpg images with captions created in Picasa. I tried your suggestion on using Properties on a folder but I did not see a Details tab. The following is what I get:

upload_2018-12-1_12-57-58.png

What am I missing? I am using Windows 10 on an HP Elite Book computer.

Attached Files:

6. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Save the jpg with captions to a different file name ... And look at it.
    Then you'll be able to see it either way, the original file or the captioned Image file.

Unless your Image viewer is also an Image Editor that allows the viewing of different layers ...
    You'll only be able to view it as stored.

7. jackstarke

I guess I'm out of luck to find an Image Viewer that anyone with Windows would have that allows display of images with captions.

Although I can see captions within Picasa, I was surprised that Picasa Viewer does not display the captions. I did find that if I make an individual folder into a Google album it does show the caption for about 3 seconds while viewing the image.

I could convert every folder into a Google album and see the captions. This is not a good solution since I have over 2000 photos arranged into a hierarchical file structure with over 30 folders arranged in a logical way to make finding individual images easy.

Thanks very much for your help.

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I dumped Picasa years ago when it died ... And I don't remember .....
    In Picasa, Do you have the option to see them ..... With ... OR ... Without captions ?

If/When I'm ever forced to move to W10 ...
    The First Image Viewer/Basic Image Editor program I'll install is Irfanview

There's something wrong here ... Or I'm confused ...
    You're not going to find a way to view a single jpg Image ...
    and have the option to view it ... With ... OR ... Without a caption.

Would you want to attach one of you Pictures here that has a caption ???

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  9. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    What you're showing is a file name ????
    Attached is a jpeg with a (Fancy) Caption.

Captions are in the image ...
    File names can only be seen in Windows Explorer

Attached Files:

10. jackstarke

When I'm referring to caption I am not referring to something that is in the image, but rather as defined in Picasa is something that appears below the image, and as I understand it is stored in the EXIF file, and is not a part of the image. Below are three way that I viewed the same image:
    Original image in Picasa where caption was created

File in Windows 10
    I am not referring to a caption as something that is part of the image, but rather as defined in Picasa that is at the bottom of the image:

upload_2018-12-2_13-15-25.png

When I open this stored image from Windows File Explorer using Picasa Viewer, Irfanview, or Windows Photo Viewer I do not get the caption. I can add the picture to a alum in Google Photo and the caption appears for about 3 seconds.

Maybe what I want to do is not possible without loading the image back into Picasa. Google Photo albums does accomplish what I want to do, but the caption only stays for about 3 seconds.

However, my biggest issue is that I have over 2000 jpg files, some with captions, that I would like to open including any caption directly from my Windows File Explorer,

Attached Files:

11. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    That is Not a Caption ... It is the File Name as presented in Picasa's Viewer.
    .... I think ????? ... What is the png File Name ??

If you were using Interview .... as attached below ...
    The file name (Dromedary Ride) and image type (png) would show in Irfanview's Viewer (Top Right) ..
    along with other image file info elsewhere

Attached Files:

12. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    My Mistake .... I downloaded Picasa for W7>W10
    The caption your referring to is a part of the Picasa File Organizer ...
    and not a part of the file name ..... or a Caption inserted in the image file.

I avoid anything with a file organizer that does my thinking/organizing for me.
    Don't know what to suggest now ???

See attached .... Captioned as "Star"

Attached Files:

13. jackstarke

Thanks very much for trying to help me with my problem.

I'm afraid I just can't do what I want. My desire is to open a file from my directory structure and display the jpeg file created in Picasa with the (caption/info block) showing both the image and "info block". There are two way I can do this: 1-Load the image back into Picasa and view it 2- Put the files into a Google Photo album and click the "i" button. Since Picasa is dead and loading files back into Picasa is a pain option 1 is not a good alternative. Alternative 2 is also not a good option even though I could accomplish the objective of seeing the image and "info block", since all of the 2000+ images would all be in a single album. Presently I have the 2000+ images organized into a nested file structure of over 30 folders, making it easy to find the desired file.

I have tried many different image display programs including Irfanview with no success. Most of the programs display the image along with the file name. The 2000+ files have been created over the past 20 years and it is not feasible to change all of these.

Have I tried everything possible to achieve the objective described in the first paragraph?

14. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    All I an suggest Now ... Is to look for a way to rename the Image File to the Picasa Caption.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1219861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice