1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening MS-Word template created using PC on Mac

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Guybrush, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

Hi

I was yesterday asked by my boss (sitting in another country) to create a word document template and email it to him. Although i've made this template using Office 2007 on my office PC, but i am not sure if it will work on his macbook which has MS-Office for Mac installed.

Will he face any problems in opening the file? If so, then what should i do to make it work?

2. ChuckE

ChuckE

There should be no problem, unless his version is much older than yours. But because his Word is on a Mac, and yours is a PC, the version numbers and dates will not be precisely correlatable.

Just try it and see what happens. That is going to be the proof you'll need.

If you have problems THEN get back to us.

3. slurpee55

slurpee55

Unless he has Microsoft Office for Mac 2008, you don't want to save your template in the default format (.dotx) but save it as an earlier version, like a 2003 file, which will have the .dot format.

4. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys.

I saved the template in word 2003 format (.dot) and sent it to him. It opens ok on his system but a new issue has arisen. A substantial part of the page is cut off at the bottom when he is taking print outs. He has confirmed that he's using the letter page size (8.5" x 11") which the template was created in, and has asked me to sort out the issue. I've tried the template on three different systems (all PCs) over here and its working fine.

Would really appreciate if anybody can suggest any solutions.

5. ChuckE

ChuckE

First have him clear out his old Word basic template (called Normal.dot), just to make sure there is no influence of one over the other.

To clear out the Normal.dot (do this with Word NOT running) just locate it and delete it. There may be more than one Normal.dot on his system. His Normal.dot will be somewhere under his name folder (in WinXP it's: C:\Documents and settings\<his name> or in WinVista: C:\Users\<his name>)

It gets a little more complicated to be more specific as to the exact location it will be for him (or anybody) since it will depend upon the type of network he is on and where and what version is installed.
    Forgetting all that, just have him search for "normal.dot" under his name folder, and ensure he is searching system and hidden files.

Once the Normal.dot is deleted, and then when he starts up Word again, Word will automatically recreate a brand new, clean, Normal.dot.

See if that helps. If it does not help, then my next guess would be to have him re-install the latest print driver for his printer.

6. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

Thanks ChuckE.
    Any idea where the normal.dot would be on a mac? :)

7. ChuckE

ChuckE

I thought the Mac had a "Finder" that would do as it is named?

8. ChuckE

ChuckE

I just did a quick Google search and found this:

"The Window/Word "Normal.dot" file is called Normal on a Mac (OS 9/X).

It is usually found in the Office folder under Templates"

9. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

Thanks again.
    I am waiting for a reply from the boss. :)

10. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

Well, he tried the above, ie, deleted normal.dot and reinstalled printer driver and still no joy. :(

11. ChuckE

ChuckE

For the moment, I don't know what to tell you.

Generally, most printers can not print to the very edge, the exception being some photo image capable printers, where being able to do so is important. But even when a printer can't print to the edge, the amount of gap between the "live area" (where print can land) and the page edge is somewhat under a half inch. My printers get to within 0.25 and 0.4 inches to the actual edge.

How much gap is your boss experiencing? If it is much more than a half inch, it sounds like it might be a setting on a printer property sheet, since the same templates do print correctly on other computers and printers.

Replacing a print driver will not necessarily correct errors in the settings, since the settings data (perhaps a file) may remain as a carryover between driver changes.

I wish I could help more, but I'm tapped out right now. You may need a person who is right there and who has Mac experience.

12. Guybrush

Guybrush Thread Starter

I know and totally agree with you Chuck.
    Many thanks for all the help. You've been fantastic.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice