Opening Port 1433

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Chris286

I need to open Port 1433 for remote access. Can someone please tell me where to start?

First place to start is to describe your network setup. Are you behind a router? Do you use software firewalls? Are you running DHCP or Static? What is the make-model of the router? Is this a single PC or multiple PC setup?

For someone to help you will need to post some information about your configuration.

Home network, router make/model, operating system, isp to name the most relevent.

Chris286

We have multiple PCs connected to a server with a cisco router, static IP, server runs Windows Server 2003. Not sure of the cisco router model... the tech company is installing later this morning. Just thought I'd try to get a jump on this. Guess I need to wait for complete info. Anything else I should know? Thanks for your help.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Chris286 said:
We have multiple PCs connected to a server with a cisco router, static IP, server runs Windows Server 2003. Not sure of the cisco router model... the tech company is installing later this morning. Just thought I'd try to get a jump on this. Guess I need to wait for complete info. Anything else I should know? Thanks for your help.
The model of the router would help. What application are you using for remote access and what computer do you need remote access to. I would just explain to your tech support what you want to do. They can probably set it up in two minutes. It is not that hard.

I would rename the SA account, and use NT Integrated authentication. At the very least, give SA a strong password.

If you don't, your system will probably be processing credit cards for a ".RU" domain by the end of the day. :)

I would also change the default port from 1433 to something else. If people do a port scan and find 1433 they automatically know what to look for.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.