1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opening some threads on this forum

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by JohnO28356, Apr 17, 2004.

Advertisement
  1. JohnO28356

JohnO28356 Thread Starter

I haven't seen anything posted on this, but now and then when I go to open a thread here using XP Home, sp1, IE 6.0, it takes me instead to TSG Forums page. This never happens with Firefox. If I empty my TIF's the problem stops. It may occur on 1 out of 10 threads, the others open fine. The strange thing is the TIF is practically empty (maybe 800 - 1000 kb). This started about the time the forum was changed over. Any ideas?

2. JohnO28356

This is happening again this morning with everything clean. Hope to get some response now that the weekend is over. Thanks.

3. RandyG

RandyG

Might be better off in the Site Comments forum.

I'll ask a Mod to move it.

The only thing I can think of is that you are taking a long time, 10-20 minutes, browsing one page, and the session ID will time out.

Do you have a TSG cookie that keeps you logged in when you come to the site, or do you log in when required?

4. JohnO28356

Thanks for the reply, Randy. I wouldn't think I'm timing out. I open a thread that has an interesting subject, read it, and usually move on to another thread. Seldom spend more than a few minutes in a thread. Every now and then it takes me to the forum list instead of opening. Normally I keep cookies and temp files, etc cleaned, and just log in when I'm going to post, but I don't see where that should matter. I don't use Firefox that often, but haven't had this problem occur with that browser. This is the only site I have a problem with.

5. RandyG

RandyG

Ok, you say it's intermittant, but a lot of times it just seems intermittant. Usually there is a common denominator somewhere.

If it happens to you, have you hit your Back button and gone back to the previous page and tried the link again?

Are you clicking on links before the page fully loads?

Do you usually navigate the site using the back buttons, or do you open links in new windows?

Are you using Ad blocking utilities? Maybe there's the same ad showing each time that this happens, which may be the cause of the problem?

If it happens again, copy and paste the link you were on, and copy and paste the link you were trying to go to.

I'm just throwing some suggestions out there, but a lot of these issues are down to the way the browser acts in relation to the users behaviour while surfing.

6. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I wasn't going to comment about this on my own, since I thought it might be whatever configuration I set my IE6 security to, as my problem____but I see you have a very similiar problem.
    Just weeks before the upgrade, I could not use IE6 at all at this site. Often, after browsing 4 or 5 pages , IE6 would freeze up and I would have to reboot. After the upgrade, rather than IE6 freezing, I would be taken back to the 'TSG Forums' page.
    I do not use IE6 at this site,now. I use Firebird and there are no problems with it.
    And TSG is the only site I have this situation with. And I have done the IE 'repair' without any effect.

Specs: Win98se
    IE6 sp1
    Dell p2 450
    all win updates
    OS was installed about 4 months ago

7. RandyG

RandyG

and yet I've had no probs at all with IE6 and all upgrades running on Win2k system

That's why I'm trying to get more information, to narrow it down to a specific thing in IE causing it.

8. Stoner

Stoner Banned

Hi Randy :)

Can't help that much :(

For me, the earlier lockups were completely random. But only happened at TSG!
    But now I can't open any posts with IE6. It only gives me a 404 .
    Below are two shots, one on this forum and the other Random.

I'm not really concerned, actually feel better that my problem wasn't unique to me :D

Attached Files:

9. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator

First Name:
    Mike
    Let me know if you're still getting it now... Thanks! :)

(Give me about 5 minutes to debug this code. :) )

10. Stoner

Stoner Banned

:D__(y)

Thanks Mike :)
    works like a charm!

11. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Kind of like you Smilin' Jack! ;)

I never had a problem here using my IE6. :)

12. JohnO28356

Well, I've opened about 150 or so posts trying to get the problem to repeat, but it hasn't. Maybe whatever change Admin made to the code worked. I did notice here on "Site Comments" that some others had posted previously with similar problems. Thought I was all alone-- was going to take my IE browser down to the pond and drown it.

13. RandyG

RandyG

Heheh, that's why i asked for it to be here.

I'm glad Mike (TechGuy) looked into it, found a problem, and fixed it

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!