1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

opening unfamiliar file extension

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by anteater, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

We're all acquainted with the annoying box that asks us what program we want to use to open some thing somebody just sent us. Then we get to move to the most likely portion of the alphabet and see if anyhing on our list has that extension associated with it. Well, that's REALLY ANNOYING ! Isn't there some way in windows (98 2nd ed) to ask the darn thing what it HAS or recommends that would do the trick?

2. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Here is a site that will help.

http://stack.com/

Then go to start>settings>folder options>file types and you can set and edit what you want.

3. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

I'm all too well acquainted with the path you mention. I'll try the url and see if it puts a little more meat on the bones. Thanks.

4. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

That url has a total of 70 file extensions listed in it. Now why would somebody build that url with a listing of how to access but 70 file extensions when on just my dinky little box I have 500+ listed if I wish to hunt and peck for them by guessing what might open them? This is SILLY!! Even for windows- this is silly. if I get an sbd file extension, I'd like to boink up a url from my favorites and punch in sbd and it'll tell me - open it with this. Then if I don't have it I can go get it. i appreciate your response and it's just what I wanted but it's so limited-70 extensions, that's all. ( am I ranting yet?) Am I beeing incorrigably (sp?) stupid or has someone else experienced this gaposis?

5. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

6. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

I doubt that I would use more than a dozen ext.. Anytime I get something I dont know what to open it with, I take the easy way out and delete it or send it back and tell them to open it and ask what they used. Everyone (except for the ones here) that I talk to are less computer literate than me and if they send something I cant work with, it wasnt intentional. Sorry I dont know more to tell you.

7. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Thank you MO. :)

8. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

Now THAT'S the puppy I was looking for, I think. looks to me like that dog will hunt. thank you (again) mo

9. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

doyce. I really like your imposing jester thing there

10. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Thank you. It was a gift. :)

11. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

A gift from a flower to a garden?- or was i t some other way? Who wrote that from a flower to a garden thing anyway? msconfig is most useful in some situations ( like when you want to make your puter dumber than a post so it will run some MASSIVE music program or something). All i've ever used it for is to click off start up programs so I can run some giant sparky thing that dims the bulbs in my whole town. Am I missing something?

12. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

spyware looks way dangereous, a fella could lose fingers and toes in there

13. DoyceJ

DoyceJ

Just links for things to help with keeping your computer running top shape. The rest is up to the individual.

Dont know about the flower and garden thing. davey7549 made for me until I got mine done.

14. hewee

hewee

15. anteater

anteater Thread Starter

thanks heewee

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63242

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice