opening unformatted disc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cornputer

i just messed myself up pretty bad.

i was tryign to add a new 60gb hd to my computer which has a 80gb hard drive, but it too me a while to get the master slave jumpers set properly cause i couldnt find the labels. anyways, when i finally got the computer to boot with 2 drives, the startup screen was a mess of colours. despereate to see windows again i got my disc and installed it onto my 60gb hard drive and got it to start up. however, it shows my 80 gb hard drive as RAW type right now and wants me to format it. did turning my computer on and off while trying to get this to work mess up my drive or soemthing?

anyways, is there any way to open up that drive which now is registered as a unformatted drive?a lot of my stuff is on that computer which isnt THAT important but i would still like to keep.

ask me for any clarification. i know this is messed up which also explains why i could turn a simple task bad.

any help would be greatly appeciated

Double check the cable to the drives. Try rearranging the jumpers so the problem drive is the slave. Same file system on both drives?

cornputer

cables good, somehow the computer wont boot if problem drive is on slave, the only way it worked is with 80 master, 60 slave even though now im booting from 60. and yes ntfs on both. oh wait, is quick ntfs and normal ntfs different?

No the files systems would be the same. Getting the RAW message is a pain. Only other suggestion I have is to try it as a slave in another system to see if you can get what you need off of it and then reformat.

I've had problems like this with drives that decide overnight to convert themselves to RAW...

Try this application - Stella Phoenix NTFS Recovery
http://www.stellarinfo.com/index.htm

This thing actually works, and not only will it access your RAW HDD, create a DAT file of your HDD so you can recover files from that (without the HDD in place) but you can also recover lost files - I was finding stuff from almost 4 years ago!

Thanks,

-Eddey

cornputer

oh crap, i just gave up and formatted the drive. thanks anyways, peace out

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!