Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opening webpages in IE7 runs Windows config for last program installed

675 views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  jontro 
#1 ·
:confused: Have been trying to figure out what is causing this.
Every time I open my homepage and certain other webpages (this site in particular), a window pops up asking me to wait while windows configures the last program that I installed. This being Adobe Captivate.
I check the task manager and have noted that IDRIVER.EXE and two, sometimes three, occurences of MSIEXEC.EXE are opened and running.
I need to click the CANCEL button two or three times to get the window to go away. During the time that the pop-up window is open, IE7 stops downloading and then resumes when the window closes. BTW, pop-up blocker is turned on.
IDRIVER.EXE is an InstallShield (IS) routine.
At first I thought it was a problem with Captivate, so I uninstalled it and ran a registry cleanup to make sure that the program was truly gone. When I opened IE7, now the pop-up reappeared, only this time, it was trying to configure the program that was installed prior to Captivate, namely Quickbooks. Having since reinstalled Captivate, now the config window is back to working on Captivate.
A little background, about two weeks ago the Win O/S partition on my system went south and I had to format the partition and reinstall Windows along with all adjoining programs. So the system is definitely clean.
I can't seem to find where IS connects the opening of webpages with trying to run a configure of the last program installed. Also, Captivate runs fine. One interesting thing is that the window config pop-up doesn't come up on every website or webpage so I'm assuming that there is some trigger that is setting off the IS routine but I just can't find where it is.
Thank for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Found an MSI file and a folder in the C:\WINDOWS\INSTALLER that are related to the problem. Temporarily renamed the file and folder and now get only one message when opening websites in IE7 and IS is trying run the installer. This message reverts to an notice that the file/folder needed can't be found. So I know that I'm closing in on the problem. Somewhere, possible in the registry, there's a setting that is starting IS but the connection to only popping up in IE7 is most confusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.