Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Opening Word Doc in I.E. 5 from Intranet Link

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Great North 
#1 ·
I get the following error message when trying to access a word document through an Intranet Link ("Open from current location" option):

Access to the specified device, path, or file is denied.

The system is NT 4.0, running Internet Explorer 5

I have tried accessing the file on two other computers that have the same basic setup and I am able to. The security settings are all identical and I cannot access even with an admin account on the problem computer. I have the proper access to the file as I can download it at another computer. When I choose the "Save to disk" option the file is saved with a WPD extension. When I try this option on another computer it downloads this with the proper .doc extension. I have tried upgrading the browser to 5.5 but this did not help. Both systems are running the same version of Word (97).

#2 ·
If you get access denied errors, then it must be a security permissons issue. Something about your account on the computer with the problem is different or has different rights or permissions on the system or to the file. You would need to go over all rights and permissions very carefully to spot the differences. Check your group memberships and what access rights they all have to the file/folder. If any one of them has access denied set it will over-ride all of the others.

As a workaround, download the file to one of the computers that can access it, put it in a shared folder and see if you can then access the copy of it you have just created from the problem machine.

If you can then it is definitely a permissions/security issue of the account used on the first machine.

#3 ·
I double checked all of the local permissions on both workstations and they are the same. I checked the network access and this is also good. The main thing I believe is how the system is dowloading the document from the link. The .wpd extension seems to be the problem. This is the only workstation that downloads the file with this extension. This is why I believe that I am getting this error message. Because the document opens up in IE, and I think that it is actually a file association or converter problem with the system. Has anyone ran into this? When I saved the document on the other workstations it saved it with the .doc extension.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.