1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

opening .xlr file extension

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by philip1519, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. philip1519

philip1519 Thread Starter

My brother sent me an itinerary for his trip to Argentina and I won't be able to contact him if I can't open this file. I don't want to steal any proprietary software but can I get enough Microsoft Works Spreadsheet to open the file? Possibly there is some freeware that will open it? The only other thing that I would rather avoid is downloading a huge file to accomplish this small job. Thanks, Phil.

PS I have Windows XP and that was a .xlr extention.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Excel can open most Works spreadsheet and chart files. There is a standalone Excel Viewer available if you search. It may do the job.

3. philip1519

philip1519 Thread Starter

It worked ! Thank you! The only hitch was that the program was not offered as one of the programs that I could use to open the file; so I had to open the viewer first and then browse for the file. Is there a way to put this program in the window that offers to open a particular file with my choice of programs?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try right-clicking a file with the Shift key down and see if you get an "Open With" that will let you browse for the program. It's also possible that the program will show up there later, maybe after a reboot.

Or, go to Folder Options and change the file association for xlr so it opens with the viewer.

Thanks for the followup. This problem comes up from time to time and I never knew if the viewer would do the trick.

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the Thread Tools above. (When you are all done.)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700160

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice