1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OpenOffice - can't open any of my documents all of a sudden

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Jasmine29, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jasmine29

Jasmine29 Thread Starter

I have Windows Vista.
    For the past couple of days I have been receiving an error every time I try to open an OpenOffice odt document. I am trying to access my resume so that I can edit it and email it. I have tried to open other documents and I get the same error. The error message is:

OpenOffice.org 3.3 - Fatal Error
    The application cannot be started.
    An internal error occurred.

Please let me know how I can fix this. I have tried updating to the most current version of OpenOffice. I just don't know what else to do.

2. thomasjk

thomasjk

3. Jasmine29

Jasmine29 Thread Starter

When you say to try running a repair install do you mean for Windows Vista?? Can you also provide me with a link or how I should do that? Thanks.

4. thomasjk

thomasjk

I'm talking about a repair install of OpenOffice not Vista. Try this:
    Open the Control Panel and find Openoffice in the list. Right Click and select repair.

5. Jasmine29

Jasmine29 Thread Starter

I first off want to thank you. You have been really helpful. I am freaking out because I really need to open up and access my resume so that I can email it to a possible employer. Once I open Control Panel I went to "Programs and Features" and searched for Open Office and got an error that said "Fatal Error During Installation." Should I uninstall it and then install it again? Thanks in advance for your help.

6. thomasjk

thomasjk

Download and run Revo Uninstaller Free to remove the install. Use the most aggressive settings. Re-install afterwards

7. Jasmine29

Jasmine29 Thread Starter

Thank you for your last response. The Revo Uninstaller helped. I downloaded Open Office 3.3 and now I am receiving the following error:

Java (TM) 6 Update 22
    Error 1606. Could not access network location.
    %APPDATA%\

I went to Javas website to verify that I have it and got the following message:

Verified Java Version

Congratulations!

You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 23).

In order to fix this error do I need to download to Version 6 Update 22 which is what is referenced in the error message when I try to install Open Office??

Just when you assist me in fixing one problem, another one pops up. Again you have been very very helpful. Please tell me how I can fix this. Thanks

8. Jasmine29

Jasmine29 Thread Starter

I finally got my resume to open in Open Office. Thanks again for all of your help.

9. mark1230

mark1230

wow thanks for revo uninstaller link
    I wasn't aware of this product

10. thomasjk

thomasjk

Unfortunatley the OOoV3.3 with JRE is Update 22. No you don't need to download update 22. If both 22 and 23 are installed go to Control Panel-->Programs and features and uninstall Update 22.
    Then in OOo go to Tools-->Options-->Openoffice.org-->Java and make sure that the button next update 23 is checked. Then click OK.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977532