1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OpenOffice took over the desktop

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Cryssie, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

Openoffice icons have replaced all of the icons on our desktop and we cannot access any program other than openoffice. When we open it, the first page is a mess of symbols and signs. We can only access the internet (mozilla firefox) through our security settings. I've tried system restore from the start menu and it only opens openoffice again. ???

2. EBSchrader

EBSchrader

Can you uninstall the program? Which Windows version do you have?

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

What OS?

You created a new file association. Do you know what it was?

Is it only shortcuts that show the change or exe files, too?

(The name "OpenOffice" was hijacked by Oracle who copyrighted it and then refused to allow the original OpenOffice creators to use the name of their own creation. Do not support corporate greed by using it. Use the original OpenOffice by the original creators, now called LibreOffice.)

4. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

I haven't tried to uninstall - if I uninstall, do I lose our files?

We have Windows 7.

Yes, it has taken over all of the .exe files and not just the shortcuts. Still haven't managed to fix it.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Don't try to uninstall. It won't work and it won't help.

Download this tool and run it.

Fix Exe Tool

6. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

Hi,

I tried running the tool you sent, but got the following message:

Exception ERegistryException in module FIXEXE(1).COM at 0002048E. Failed to set data for ".

Not sure what to do...?

7. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to the desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Restart the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It appears that your exe association is missing completely from the registry. Try Phantom010's fix. That will restore the entire key and all values.

9. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

I tried Phantom010's fix - downloaded EXEFIX - but now I can't find it. Where would it be on the desktop?

10. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Where did you save it to? You need to save it to a location of your choice, like your desktop or your usual download folder.

11. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

It will not allow me to merge the file. It says it is not a registry script and that i can only import binary files from within the registry

12. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

K, Merged it, restarted computer opened it with registry editor. Said it was successful, but nothing has changed. Are there other steps?

13. Cryssie

Cryssie Thread Starter

Actually not true, the icons are not open office they are something else, not what they should be.

14. Elvandil

Elvandil

You right-clicked on the reg file and chose "Merge"?

Please explain what you did in detail.

Please right-click on one of the problem files or shortcuts, Properties, General tab. What does it say it opens with?

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1051101