1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Openoffice ???

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by reezin14, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. reezin14

reezin14 Thread Starter

I recently was thinking about switching from MS office to Oo 2.3, and was wondering what format should I save my docs in to email them to my instructor so that he's able to open them without any problems. When I write them in Oo and save them I have a hard time trying to open them so they can be viewed without trouble or in the correct construction/format.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You should be able to save as .doc in Open Office.

3. Hughv

Hughv

To be more specific, OO has about 20 file formats under "SaveAs". Pick the one that's appropriate to your prof's word processing program.

4. kat1110

kat1110

I use OpenOffice all the time and send documents to others to read in email frequently as well.

It doesn't matter if I save in .doc or .odt. When I go to send it under the File>send I chose which format that the receiver needs according to their own app. In other words for someone with Word or Office I choose File>Send>Email as Microsoft Word. If they don't have either Word or Oo_O, I choose File>Send>Email as PDF. (You can also just export it in PDF, as well). Thus far no one has been unable to open what I've sent them when I do it this way.

But anyway, although you can save it any format, you can keep it simple and just save anything as .odt, it's how you email it that makes the difference for your boss or any one else you send a document to...

I hope this helps....

5. letchworth

letchworth

OpenOffice--- goto Tools>Options>load/save>general and select "Default File Format"-- It is a dropdown menu including a choice for "Text Document"--- on the right of that dropdown is another including "MSWord 97/2000/XP"; select that and, although you can manually select from several formats each time you use "Save As"-- the default will be .doc.

There is a part of me that wishes the Open Document format was the standard--- but I live and work in a world where people usually expect things "their" way. I have used OpenOffice for over 5 years for business and personal---- have never had anyone ask me how to open a document I sent them (They just assumed it was M$office--- they didn't know any difference-- it works great)

letchworth

6. reezin14

reezin14 Thread Starter

Thank you all, for your advice,I did what you suggested letchworth and all is well now. I like Oo a lot and didn't have to spend $100+ on it, and it works just as good as MS with no install restrictions, it will be my default office suite from now on. :) :D ;)

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

RTF format is the one that is common to nearly all Word Processors

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/644054

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice