openssh not working correctly...help

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

dudewithnofood

Running Win XP MCE SP2
Cable connection
motorola surboard modem
linksys router

A few weeks ago I installed openssh on my computer using http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/download/. I set up the group and passwd files, followed the instructions etc. Forwarded port 22 from my router to my computer and configured my firewall (zonealarm) to let traffic through. Everything worked fine until I screwed something up and had to format my hard drive. I've been trying to setup openssh the same way I did when it worked and I just can't get it to work. I've tried turning off the firewall and also connecting the modem directly to the computer, it just won't work. I have the user accounts setup with passwords. When i use putty to connect to my computer from that computer things work out but outside computers can't connect to it. I open putty, tell it to connect to my ip at port 22 using ssh and it brings up the connection window and asks me for a username, which I type in, and then it immiately asks for a password without showing the welcome/warning message it's supposed to show. When I type in the password, it tries to connect for a few seconds and then simply tells me "Access Denied".

Any suggestions? Any diagnostic tools or anything of that sort I can use to figure out what the problem is?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online