OpenSUSE 10.1 Installation Question

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

zoff

I bought a brit magazine that included an installation DVD for OpenSUSE. After selecting language and accepting the agreement, the next step is to select either installation or update. From what the magazine says, at this step, an "if you have an existing operating system installed on your computer, it should dhow up in this list." I DONT see the factory-installed Windows XP on ANY list on the screen. Should I proceed and how? Thanks in advance. :D

Select installation - you can always abort the install if you detect any problems - during the initial install SuSE should detect the other OS, give you the option to resize the HD, and options for the packages you want to install. Make sure you read everything at each step, clicking through the various windows so you don't miss something.
I've installed SuSE many times as dual boot and haven't had anything go wrong yet - having said that though I've not installed 10.1 yet.
Good luck...

zoff

1. When does the choice for dual boot show up in the installation? Im afraid I'll go too far into the installation and erase XP.

2. Can I uninstall if there are too many conflicts with my hardware? (I have a Dell Inspiron E1705, Intel CoreDuo, 1Gb RAM)

Thanks again.

before you set it up, make sure you've defragged your windows partitions.... preferably you should back up all your data.... but hey if you're like me, you've been warned :)

dont worry suse will warn you before making any changes to the partition table......... at the point where you select where to install the suse os, just double check to make sure you're not over-riding your windows partitions......

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online