1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

OpenWith Settings

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Arithmomaniac, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Arithmomaniac

Arithmomaniac Thread Starter

When you right-click on a file, you can tell it to "Open With" a certain program. If you click "Choose Program", you get a list. How do I clean that list (say, to get rid of programs that no longer exits or that I use rarely)?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Not a solution but an alternative that gives you much more control:

Open Expert

It lets you hide OpenWith if you want.

You can clear your lists with OpenWith Clear.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Probably not what you're looking for ..
    But for each file type where I may want to choose another program besides the default ..
    I customize the Context menu for my favorite choice so that I don't have to click thru the "Open With"
    My favorite choice(s) are at the top of the menu ... I usually ignore the "open with" option.

Attached Files:

4. Arithmomaniac

No, I specifically have to clean the list in the attached screenshot.
    Thanks,
    Arithmomaniac

Attached Files:

5. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Here's the text that goes with Elvandil's suggestion ... Did you try it yet ???
    For some strange reason .. mine seems to clean itself if I don't use a program for a while ..
    then I have to browse for it.

Clear Dynamic "Open With" Lists Copyright 2002 - Doug Knox

When you right click on a file in Windows XP, one of your options is Open With. This listing of programs contains some that are predefined and some that are added because you chose a program that wasn't on the list. Over time this list can build up to quite a number of programs.

Clear Open With Lists will allow you to selectively remove the "dynamic" portion of this list for a file extension that you choose (from a list). Or, if you prefer, you can remove all "dynamic" entries for all file extensions.

Future enhancements include the ability to select multiple extensions and/or individual "dynamic" entries.

Operating System(s): Windows XP Only. This utility will run on other OS's, but has not been verified to work. VB 6 Runtime library required (included in Windows XP).

Download Clear Open With Lists here...
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/utils/OpenWithClear.zip

This page last updated 11/25/2005 21:15 All material © Doug Knox

6. devil_himself

devil_himself

Greetings Arithmomaniac

Start > Run > Regedit > Navigate to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications

Under - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications

This is the list of Programs that can appear under "OpenWith" List

Select the Application and then on the Right Pane .. Create a "String Value" named "NoOpenWith" Without Quotes with Empty "Value Data" to stop a program appearing under "OpenWith" .. if you want to add it then delete "NoOpenWith"

==========================================================

Ex --- When your Right Click on a ".TXT" File and Select ""OpenWith" .. You want to Remove Wordpad From this list

then .. Start "Registry Editor" and navigate to --

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\wordpad.exe

on the Right Pane .. Create a "String Value" named "NoOpenWith" Without Quotes with Empty "Value Data"

7. Arithmomaniac

Thanks. However, is there a batch registry editor so I can do this for all my programs?

By the way, the openwithclear program did not work for me.

Thanks,
    Avi Levin

8. Arithmomaniac

Thanks. However, is there a batch registry editor so I can do this for all my programs?

By the way, the openwithclear program did not work for me.

Thanks,
    Arithmomaniac

9. devil_himself

devil_himself

i'm Not a Scriptor .. But just wanted to know for what you need a script .. can you explain

10. Arithmomaniac

I just want to turn all of my programs to NoOpenWith at the same time, then start again (instead of going through 300 registered entries).

11. Arithmomaniac

12. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

It can be easily done using a vbscript employing WMI. I wrote one and it works. However, I hesitate to post it due to the fact that other people are reading and able to download the script. Unless they understand what the script does, they may become confused as to how to put those entries back or how to use the Open With dialog to browse. Even though the script creates a log of which subkeys have the noopenwith value before the script is run, it can be confusing. Also, if your WMI is not in good working order, this script will generate an error and make no changes. Then you have to repair WMI to use the script.

Therefore, I am not going to post any script until I Get some opinions from the Forum's Admin as to whether or not this is advisable.

I also will not send anything through email. I feel it is best to do things in the open.

I also advise that a restore point be created before you make any changes like this. There are several ways to back up. This change is not Earth Shaking. But its good practice to be able to restore in the event of a problem.

The bottom line is this:

People should never run a script unless they know what it does and how to use it. This script was written for a specific purpose.
    Please, do not download and run it unless you understand that purpose.

I'll be back after hearing from the Forum's admin.

13. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

OK. I'll post a script for you, but then I am going to remove it. Post back if and when you are here. If I am online, I'll attach it for you. Let me know when you download it and then I'll remove it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice