1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera 10.5 not Recognised by Opera Home?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by MidniteCarnival, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MidniteCarnival

MidniteCarnival Thread Starter

Anyone else install Opera 10.5 and get redirected to Opera's home page altering them that they are NOT using Opera 10.5?

Also, I haven't noticed it with Flock, Firefox or Dragon but Opera lists itself as an exception under Windows Firewall. Is that normal?

2. TOGG

TOGG

I upgraded from 10.10 to 10.50 and there was no automatic redirection to the Opera Support or Community pages. Perhaps that happens with first time installs? Assuming you found the setting that displays the 'Menu' bar at the top of the screen, try clicking on 'Help' then 'About Opera' and see what version it shows. In any event there will soon be a new version due to an exploit disclosed at the same time 10.50 was being distributed and you can read the official Opera response here; http://my.opera.com/securitygroup/blog/2010/03/09/the-malformed-content-length-header-security-issue

I don't use the Windows firewall so I haven't seen the behaviour you describe. Most browsers will set themselves as your default and, if you did not uncheck that option during the installation, that might explain why it assumes connection rights. Opera is set as my default browser and my Comodo firewall has 'learned' that and never questions Opera's right to connect.

PS. On reflection, I believe the fact that Comodo doesn't react to Opera must be due to some sort of 'whitelist' feature (whereby it knows to trust software from certain sources) because Comodo has never reacted to Firefox or IE connections either!

3. MidniteCarnival

Thanks for the link and the information.

The redirection happens immediately upon loading Opera after freshly installing.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Opera 10.51 is now available. You can use the built in updater in Opera (Help/Check for Updates) or get the .exe file from here; http://www.opera.com/

5. MidniteCarnival

Thanks a lot, man.

6. TOGG

TOGG

If you haven't already heard about it, Firefox 3.6.2 is now available as well; http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.2/releasenotes/ This is also a security fix and only 2.8 MB if you use the built in updater.

This upgrade didn't disable any of my addons (although I've only got NoScript, Cache Viewer, Coral IETab and Java Quick Start (not sure how that got there!).

7. MidniteCarnival

I was using Firefox previously but noticed that it got the herp too easily and I couldn't get rid of it once Foxy got it.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/911291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice