Opera 8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aric49

Well, For a long time, i have been looking for an alternative browser for my Windows 98 Machine. Somthing thats powerfull and runs great on low ram. I think i have finally found that browser.

I have tried my luck with Firefox and Netscape, but they severely lag on older computers. When i decided to test out the Opera Family. I downloaded Opera 6, thinking that since its older, it will run with a computer like mine. Boy was i wrong. Opera 6 lagged about as much as firefox and netscape. So i decided to try the newest Opera Browser, Opera 8. After hearing reviews saying that its runs great with older systems, i downloaded it. I have never been happier.

It SCREAMS on my computer, loading webpages faster than IE and FF combined. The features rock, like the ability to fill in forums with the "Magic Wand" button. From a distance, the layout of the browser looks similar to Fire Fox, with the tabbed interface and the "Google" bar next to the address bar. But i really like the program a lot better than firefox or IE. This is one browser I recomend.

My System:
HP Pavilion 4440
4 Gig Harddrive
33MHz Processor Clock
64 Megs of RAM
Windows 98 SE

How can you even run Win98 much less Opera on a 33MHz machine? Unless your specs are posted incorrectly. Glad it works for you either way

I think you are experiencing a psychological effect rather then actual faster loading of pages. Fact is, I dont see how you can seperate out all the variables when you try to determine loading speed. Glad you are enjoying Opera---I have heard good things about it although I refuse to pay to remove advertising for anything that isn't light years better then a freebie and there is no doubt that Opera is not light years better then Foxfire.

i too like opera way better than firefox, never had a single problem with it, dont like its default options so have to do some custmizing which sucks cuz i reinstall windows alot.

easier to use than most browsers, very fast, loads text faster than others on my dialup connection

its download manager is crap though, while it works most of the time i noticed that sometmies its slower than regetdeluxe or stops downloading, also does not usually show how much time is left/how large the file is or anything except how much as beeen downloaded so far.

I know Opera is faster, but I won't buy it unless I try it.

And, I won't try it because it has the annoying ad you have to pay to get rid of.

And if they didn't have the ad, I wouldn't pay for it though.

I guess I just can't use Opera because I would have to buy it to find out if I like it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online