1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera 9.26 vs Firefox 3 beta 4 - high CPU usage

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Sphinx, Mar 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

Ok a few interesting notes.. and questions.

I've noticed in FF3 beta 4, it is REALLY fast. Youtube videos load so much faster. In fact, I like everything about it - except one thing. I notice abnormally high CPU usage. I noticed this in FF2 as well. With three tabs open - yahoo, msn, and google, I notice hovering around 20-30% cpu usage. When I minimize it is still this high. When I close FF, it goes back down to the normal 4/5%. In Opera, it is around 6% with the same tabs open.
    With youtube open FF takes up about 40% of my cpu.

Opera 9.26
    This is a great browser and also very fast. However, for some reason youtube videos will not play. It will just get stuck on that circle of dots forever, and never play the video. I've been fussing around with the preferences.; The only things I changed were increasing the cache, and increasing total connections to 64.

Appreciate any help from anyone who's used both these browsers and can give advice,

Thanks

2. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

Youtube videos work fine in Opera 9.26 for me. What version of flash to you have installed?

For both FF and Opera, if there are any other flash objects on the page, disable them to see if the cpu usage goes down. Also, right-click on the flash, change the quality to low and set the video size to original. Does cpu usage go down then?

You can also try the latest snapshot of Opera 9.5 at http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/
    Just note that the current latest, (9841) has a quirky bug where parts of youtube pages are not fully displayed (but videos still play fine).

3. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

when i disable the flash plugin in FF, the cpu usage goes down significantly - changing video quality didn't seem to do much. I also notcie when i'm scrolling up and down on any youtube page, cpu usage jumps. with flash enabled and playing i'm usually around 30%, jupming to 50 when scrolling. With it disable it will be around 8% jumping to 20% when scrolling.

4. Sphinx

Sphinx Thread Starter

in opera, when i go to opera:plugins, it shows I have shockwave flash installed, but doest say what version.

5. TOGG

TOGG

As far as I am aware, the non ActiveX flash player plugin for Opera is the same as the one for Firefox; http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash

I don't know if it's possible for the plugin to have got corrupted in some way so that it affects both browsers, but you might consider using the uninstaller from Adobe; http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=tn_14157&sliceId=1 and then d/l and installing a new copy? I can't see how that could make things any worse, but it's obviously your choice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/696308

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice