1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Opera and Flash

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by AlanBeard, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

Quite simple really, Flash does not work with Opera for me, all I get is a blank area where the Flash item is supposed to be. I've tried updating Flash etc, but still the same. I'm using version 8.52, but the same thing happens with 9, tried uninstalling etc, to no avail. Any ideas?

2. TOGG

TOGG

If you go to 'Tools' 'Advanced' what is listed under Plug-ins? I'm using Opera 9.1 with Win 98 and this is what I have listed;

"Shockwave Flash

application/x-shockwave-flash swf
    application/futuresplash spl
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll"

Presumably you won't have the last one if you don't have Firefox!

3. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

here's what I see -

application/x-shockwave-flash swf
    application/futuresplash spl
    C:\Program Files\Opera\Program\Plugins\NPSWF32.dll

4. TOGG

TOGG

Unless there is something odd about my version of NPSWF32.dll being labelled as Mozilla while yours is Opera, we seem to have the same setup. Have you got Firefox installed?

Can you post the URL of one of the sites you are having problems with? Maybe I've got the same problem but don't know it (yet)!

5. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

I was playing around with my new website earlier, so that'll do - www.simonweald.com there should be a flash anim inbetween the two lines of text. And yes, i do have Firefox

6. TOGG

TOGG

Well, it looks as though I have the same issue. Opera gives me a black screen with 'Under construction'. Firefox eventually (because I'm on dialup) shows the same thing but then the word 'Loading' appears and rotates clockwise.

I assumes this means that my version of NPSWF32 is working OK with Firefox, does Firefox work for you?

7. TOGG

TOGG

I just looked at Opera Support and checked Shockwave in the Knowledgebase. As the result of that I d/l and installed the latest SWF version, 9.0.16.0.

Unfortunately, it didn't make your site work with Opera and now it doesn't work with Firefox either, I just get the 'Under construction' message.!

8. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

Aha, at least I know it's not just me! Not a clue as to why it's occurring though, FF and IE still work fine.

9. TOGG

TOGG

That site doesn't work with my version of IE but that's because I have so many restrictions in place!

One apparent mystery is cleared up though because when I checked plugins in Opera (after installing the latest SWF), I see that there are, in fact, two shockwave lists. One refers to the Mozilla version of NSFWP32.dll and the other to the Opera version, otherwise they are the same as before.

I don't know why my version of Firefox no longer displays that site but I'm not too bothered as I don't use many sites that need Flash.

Shadow2351 is the Opera expert here so lets hope he spots this thread and can offer some advice.

10. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

Righto, shall have a poke around then, but I doubt I'll be able to solve it.

11. Jack1000

Jack1000

Guys,

I had the same issue when I updated from 8.5 to 9. My Flash settings didn't carry over.

If you are running Opera, I would update to the latest version which is 9.0.1 (just came out) DON'T do a seperate install, just answer yes to update to the latest version which will overwrite the previous version and keep your settings intact.

Than WITHIN OPERA, go to www.adobe.com and download the latest version of the Flash player. (Adobe bought out the Macromedia Flash people.) Follow the prompts. After installing close Opera and relaunch. Than go to a Flash enabled site. Opera should pick up the new settings and display the Flash content.

Jack

12. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

13. Jack1000

Jack1000

Are we talking about just ONE site with the "Under Construction" Message or other sites that are Flash Enabled as well? If you got an "under construction" message, maybe the site is updating their Flash content. Some sites are so dependant on IE that they won't work in alternative broswers. Flash content may be restricted to IE at the site in question and may not work with Firefox or Opera. What happens when you go to other sites in IE and try to load Flash content?

Many sites throughout the world are also going to be updating their contents for the planned fall release of IE 7. If this "under construction" is occuring at just one site, it is them and not your computer. Try going to some Flash sites in IE to see if we can further isolate the issue to an Opera/Firefox compatability problem. (Which this might be.)

Jack

PS. Have you used the "Bug Report Wizard" in Opera to report this issue? Firefox probably has a similar bug report help area. You can also sign up at the Community Forums, located in the Help Section of the Opera browser. VERY GOOD HELP THERE!

14. AlanBeard

AlanBeard Thread Starter

Righto, i'll give that a try too. the under construction message was what i placed there, no flash items work at all, just tried myspace and youtube.

15. Jack1000

Jack1000

So Flash Content loads for you ONLY in IE, but not Opera or Firefox, correct? At the Opera forum, there are TONS of posts about compatability issues with regards to Flash and Opera 9. You should check them out!

Jack

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489563

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice